New to Laptops, question..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 17, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Are these things easier, or less expensive to upgrade than desktops? My sister just got a new one for college, and she gave me this old thing...

From the looks of it, it says it has a P3 chip, but the system page claims it's a Pentium 2. It has 5 GB's of Hard Drive space. It has 128 MB's of Ram. It has a standard CD Rom Drive, not sure wich speed.

I'd like to upgrade the ram to 348. Upgrade the hard drive to at least 50GB's. Upgrade the CD Drive to a DVD/CDR combo. Maby stick a TV tuner in there if they make them for laptops.

Just out of dumb struck curiosity, are these more or less expensive for a laptop, than they would be for a PC?

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Much harder to upgrade than laptops. Probably more expensive for a laptop and I really doubt you can do all that. Check the manufacturer website or manual to see more about upgrades..

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm not likely you can upgrade that beast. Every couple of years they change everything and the new DVD/CD-RW drives won't fit in the old laptops. Even battery compartments change!

You're pretty much stuck with what you've got. Although nowadays memory is much easier to upgrade than before.

I'm glad that USB and Firewire/i-link are available for laptops now...makes it slightly easier to upgrade. Laptop hard drives are easier to replace too, as they just standardized them.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>They are no PCI slots or bays that are open/available as their are on desktops.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Yes steve but it is an external piece that has to be detached when moving the laptop around which for the most part defeats the purpose of having a laptop. I did forget about the PCMCIA card that could output to that device though thanks for pointing it out Steve. You can really get almost any device to work with a laptop externally just connecting through the PCMCIA slots like burners(Though they too are more expensive then an internal drive).

KyleS