New to HT's - need help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brian.P, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

Hi,

I have no idea how to hook up my HT system even after reading the instructions. I have my tv hooked up to my digital cable box via a coaxial cable. Next to that are the Red, White and Yellow connectors for IN/OUT, next to that is a Digital Audio Out connector, below that is S-video out, next to that is a usb port and next to that is a serial port.

My question - what should I use to connect this Pioneer CATV box to my Magnavox MFX450? The MFX450 has a lot of connection options and it is leaving me a bit confused.

2. MikeCB

MikeCB Extra

Generally, instead of the cable box connected to the TV, you should just connect the box to the coax input on the receiver instead. Then, you can have another coax cable going from the receiver's coax output to the TV.

Or, you might be able to use some other type of connection to go from receiver to TV instead of coaxial (like s-video, component, etc). Whether or not the receiver allows this may depend on the brand and model of the receiver though.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

To really be of help you'll need to provide a bit more information but if you're just talking about connecting the cable box to the TV then you don't need/want the RF coax connected. You want to make a video connection and an audio connection.

Which type of video connection depends on what your TV and cable box offer. You mentioned a component connection (a combination of 3 pin jacks) and if that's available on both that will theoretically provide the best picture. (If the TV and Cable box are HD then, I think, you need to use that.) S-video from set-top-box to TV will also work fine and be almost as good. Least desirable (but functional) is a composite connection (the yellow color coded RCA style pin jack).

Do you also have an AV receiver and outboard speakers? If so, then the audio connection is to that and you'll generally turn off the speakers in the TV. But if you're connecting audio to the TV and not to a receiver/amp then it again comes down to finding a match between what the cable box puts out and the TV can take in. Easiest and lowest-common denominator is to use a standard RCA pin jack output pair (red & white) on the cable box and connect that to the audio input that is paired with whichever video input you used.

4. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

This is a good start. Here is the problem with the TV. The only inputs are the coaxial/RF (the screw in kind) and an Audio (white) and Video (yellow) inputs on the front of the TV. Right now the coaxial/RF runs from the digital cable box to the tv. Nothing is hooked up to the color coded connectors in the front of the TV but I've used that for my xbox and DVD in the past.

So, I can't hook the cable box to the receiver with coaxial/RF as there is no connection on the Magnavox MFX450/17 receiver. I have one of the three pronged cables (red, white, yellow) running from the audio/video out on the back of my cable box to my receiver connected to the red/white on the receiver but don't know where the yellow should connect on the receiver. Maybe this setup is wrong?

Here are the available hookups on my receiver according to the manual:

Audio In/Out
    CDR/Tape In
    CDR/Tape Out
    CD In
    SAT in
    VCR in
    VCR out
    TV in
    Phono in

6 Channel-DVD/SACD Input

Digital Audio In/Out
    Coax 1 In - (default for source DVD)
    Coax 2 in
    Coaz out
    Optical in

Video In/out
    DVD In
    Mon OUT
    VCR In
    VCR out
    Sat In

The manual also says I can reassign a source so perhaps I can connect the digital audio out from my cable TV box to the Coax2 In????

Here are the hookups on the cable box:

Red, White and Yellow connectors for IN
    Red, White and Yellow connectors for OUT
    Digital Audio Out connector
    S-video out
    usb port
    serial port

5. MikeCB

MikeCB Extra

I guess it would help if we could see a picture of both the back of the receiver and cable box. Do you know the model number of the cable box? In any case, you can try this.

First connect a video cable from the cable box to your receiver with the best possible connection. In this case, it looks like that would be s-video, so you could would go from s-video out on the cable box to s-video in on the receiver. However, given that the TV only has composite video in (the cable with yellow ends) you could just use this type of cable instead, and go from composite out on the cable box to composite in on the receiver.

Then, you would take a second composite (yellow) cable to go from composite out on the receiver to composite in on the TV. From your description it sounds like this is the highest video connection on the TV.

Digital audio includes both coaxial and optical, but you didn't specify which is on the cable box. But either way, connect either a digital coax cable or optical cable from the cable box's digital audio output to the digital audio input on the receiver.

Note that with this setup, you won't have an audio cable going to the TV, because you should have speakers connected to the receiver instead.

6. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

So, for my setup I think this is MON Out to the front of the TV and the yellow jack.

7. MikeCB

MikeCB Extra

Correct.

8. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

Ok, I connected it into the Satellite IN (the back of my receiver doesn't have any numbered slots except for the Coax 1 in and Coax 2 in.

Now my question is - do I need to keep the TV hooked up with the coaxial/RF cable from the cable box to the back of the tv (the old screw in cable)???

Thanks so much for this help. As you can see, I need it.

9. MikeCB

MikeCB Extra

I found a picture so I updated my reply. I think the SAT input will work fine. I'm assuming it stands for satellite but a cable box should not be any different.

And no, don't keep the screw-on coax cable connected to the TV. The yellow cable takes care of the video instead.

By the way, what are you using for audio? If you've got a digital audio cable, go from the output on the cable box to Coax 1 on the receiver. If it's a standard analog audio cable (red/white), go from those outputs on the box to SAT IN on the receiver.

10. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

Ok, I hooked up the audio connections to the SAT in since at first I had them hooked up to the TV in and I wasn't getting any sound.

My next question - how to hook up the DVD player.

The model # is MDV 421/17. It is a Magnavox as well.

11. MikeCB

MikeCB Extra

Hooking up the DVD player is similar. Depends on what outputs it has though.

Connect a video cable from the player's output to the 'DVD' input on the receiver. In your case, this will probably be composite video again.

For audio, if possible connect a digital audio cable from the player's output to the receiver's input. The optical input/output is best, but you can also use a digital coax cable to go from the player's coax output to the Coax 2 input on the receiver.

You can also use a set of analog audio cables. The player probably has a set of red and white outputs labeled 6-channel audio. You'd have to connect these to the receiver's inputs and match each one up.

Then you just switch the receiver to the appropriate mode, which is probably labeled DVD.

12. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

Thanks a ton! Everything works!

Now, a final question - my Xbox. Can I just hook up the inputs (red, white, yellow) to the back of the cable box? Or, is there a spot to hook that up on the receiver.

13. Brian.P

Brian.P Extra

never mind - hooked it up through the VCR slot. Thanks again!

14. MikeCB

MikeCB Extra

Glad I could help. You could hook the xbox up to the receiver, but if you've got the VCR in there too, then at this point it might not have any video inputs left anyway.

If your inputs on the cable box are still free, that works too, but you'd have to look in the manual to see how to tell the cable box to use something that's hooked up to those inputs.