What's new

New to HT (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

To answer your sub question, there should be an RCA labled "Sub Out" on the back of the Onkyo. Attach the cable to there and to the low level input on the sub. That's all there is to it.

As far as performing the Audessey setup with just the fronts and sub, sure. Audessey should recognize only the speakers that are there. Doing it now will balance your center dialog with your L-R speakers and dial in your sub output. Just know that you have to redo the setup when you get the surrounds in place.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Just to clarify Jeff, on the back of the sub there are 2 low level inputs (red and white L/R) Does the single RCA cable attach to the red or the white? Or does it matter? I realize these may be fairly simple questions, but I just want to make sure and not have anything mess up!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Thanks again!

PS - where on the back of the onkyo does the audessey connect?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It depends on the sub, but if the manual does not specify a specific input to use for mono, you can use either input.

On an Onkyo, the Audessey mic usually connects through a mini-plug connection in the front. On your 706, you'll find it just to the right of the "Tuning Mode" button. Follow the instruction in your manual starting on 49.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Here are some pics. Is the sub too close to the wall on each side? It's about 6 inches from the back wall and about 4 from the side wall. Is the left speaker too close to the sub?? Will it interfere with it at all?

Thanks for looking!! I think this setup looks fantastic!!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Looks good to me. The sub just needs enough room for the port to breathe and there shouldn't be any interference with the mains. You may find you have a little too much corner gain at that sub position, but calibration should take care of that.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I think the sub should have enough room to breathe. The front is all open, as you can see in the pics. I always thought that the sub was supposed to be either behind the TV (which I don't have room for) or to the side in a corner...

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
OK, I went and bought a single RCA cable (there's just one cable). It says right on the package that it's made for subwoofers. I connected one end to the input on the sub, and the other end to the output on the receiver. I don't get any sound from the sub whatsoever while doing the speaker test........THIS IS FRUSTRATING!!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Make sure the sub is turned on in your Onkyo menu. Run the test tones for each speaker. Also, make sure you have the sub cable plugged into the correct jack. There are 2 sets on the back of your receiver, one for input and one for output. It should be in the output (I believe it is purple).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Kerry: you really need to get those left and right front mains off of the floor, preferably where the tweeters are at ear level. Sitting where they are right now will negatively affect their output, particularly the sound from the tweeters which will be firing into the bottom of your couch and reflecting off of the floor (these reflected sounds will arrive at your ear later than the sound emanating directly from the woofers and tweeters, subtly distorting dialog and any other part of the soundtrack, or any music you listen to).

This is not a system-ruining thing, but considering the money that was spent, the little things all add up to help create that you-are-there experience (for example, what separates "acceptable" gear from "great" gear is a manufacturer's attention to details, which also helps contribute a lot to their increased cost over that acceptable gear i.e. a hamburger from McDonalds and one from Chilis both have meat in the center of a bun but they sure don't taste the same! :D).

Subwoofer: I am not sure how many sonic issues Audyssey can correct (boominess is caused by other factors besides volume level), but many subs can sound boomy placed that close to a corner. Setting up a sub can be very time consuming, so have patience.

Center channel: if you can, try to locate the speaker so no edges, of the TV or the shelf it is sitting on, protrude in front of the speaker. Again, flat surfaces at 90 degree angles directly next to a speaker is not a good thing.

FYI: when you finally get your surround channels in place is, in my opinion, when you'll really feel like you're in a theater. Depending on the movie, many surround soundtracks can make you feel like you are literally in the middle of the action.....or restaurant.......or submarine....or.....

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I have sound now Dave. Just not sure what to set everything at. I'm reading in the manual to see what the receiver should be set at as well as the sub

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I'm getting stands soon enough for both the front and the rears. Where my sub is placed at the moment is where it's going to stay b/c that's really the only spot in the room that has space for it.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
^ Hey Kerry, I should have been more detailed with my response. I didn't mean someone couldn't have a sub in a corner just that when placed very close to a corner a sub usually can become boomy sounding. But fortunately like other speakers but subs in particular, just moving a sub 6-8 inches in one or another direction can dramatically change its sound (trust me, bass frequencies can behave really strangely & in unexpected ways!).

So *if* your sub doesn't right there's a good chance its sound can be improved by moving it within the confines of that corner. My own sub definitely had more output when placed directly next to both walls of the front corner of my own HT room, but the upper bass spectrum sounded sloppy and indistinct. But after a few minutes of pushing it around, I found the best compromise between bass volume and bass accuracy was against one wall but about 2 feet from the other wall (more specifically, the woofer itself, not the cabinet).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Corner placement will result in the highest perceived output levels but there will be some large peaks in the frequency response due to room modes. Parametric EQs or conventional acoustic treatments can help reduce these peaks. Problems with the response will be most apparent while playing music (vs HT soundtracks).

HTStu

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart
Guys, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I too am trying to figure out which A/V receiver and speakers (and Blu Ray) to buy. What is crossover?
Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks