What's new

New to HT (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Kerry, there is another option available to you, that will make watching movies fun too with just a bit - relatively speaking - less involvement but is much easier to deal with.

A stereo HT system.

1 receiver

2 speakers

1 source

No calibration needed. No finicky set-up menus to deal with. And from an aesthetics point of view, a clean & elegantly simple system that doesn't overwhelm a room. And despite the lack of marketing, stereo is not a "dead" technology.

What you don't get with a stereo HT system: directional sound effects with newer action/adventure films; extreme low bass sound effects*; people seated off center of the TV will not hear center-sourced sounds exactly from the center of the screen. And I have never seen component or HDMI source switching on a stereo receiver.....yet. Most do have composite video switching (VCRs & older camcorders and game consoles) but for best picture quality from a dvd, BD player or digital cable box - via component or HDMI - you would need to connect those directly to the TV.

---> To avoid the switching issue, you could buy a 5.1 channel receiver and configure its speaker management system for stereo operation.**

Otherwise, even a $300 2.0 channel HT will sound incredibly better than any set of TV speakers, there is no comparison whatsoever. I run a 2.0 system in my living room for three years now and enjoy listening to it (just finished watching the final Battlestar Galactica episode on it actually).

Besides the switching issue, the only other fundamental drawback might the fact the speakers cannot be those really tiny models that fit in the palm of your hand. The smallest I would advise using is something with a 6.5" woofer or dual 5.25" woofers. Anything smaller and they won't sound full/rich enough to create that HT "feeling".

* standard dvd players (and I think BD players) as per dvd consortium standards deliberately delete the .1 channel - also called the LFE or low frequency effects channel - when they take a 5.1 soundtrack and mix it down to stereo and send it to the player's left/right analog output.

** this will also enable the use of a subwoofer - a 2.1 system - but that can start making things complicated quick. BUT.......if the left/right speakers are large enough - something with dual 8" woofers for example - and whenever a 5.1 receiver is set up for stereo operation, it takes the .1 channel from whatever 5.1 source and combines it with the left/right channels. So depending on the capability of those speakers, you will experience X portion of those rumbly sound effects many movies include. I know because I ran my system with no sub for nearly four years i.e. a 4.0 channel system (no center channel either).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
A few 2.0 receivers to check out:

Pioneer Elite SX-A9, just introduced a couple years ago, along with two hi-end CD players. Includes a USB input.

Onkyo TX-8255 The 50 watts per channel this piece of gear produces is much more gutsy than the 50 watts/channel a plasticky $200 HTiB produces and can still cause walls to vibrate!

And the very popular (on audio forums anyway) Sherwood RX-4109, which still includes a phono input for a turntable.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Thanks Lance I'll think about that as well
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I'm just looking at the SVS site and I noticed that the woofer they have with their system is ported. I always thought that an enclosed woofer would be better in a room?? Any input on this at all anyone??

Thanks again!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Kerry,

I can't see the setup - you will have to list it here.

Ported subs can generally go lower (great for HT) and take fewer watts to power. SVS subs absolutely rock!!!

Going with 5.1 would not be a big deal. Most movies are still 5.1. Plus, you really have to have a good room layout for 7.1 to work correctly. Basically, you need a good bit of room behind your seats. Also, any 7.1 receiver is capable of 5.1 as well.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Hi Dave,

Eventhough their subs are good, what are there speakers like? Do you have a set, or do you just have a sub from SVS?
This is the setup I was referring to. You'll still have to check out their website to see what I'm talking about. Unless you know the SVS models already!!

2 pair of SCS-01 speakers & 1 SCS-01 center $819
PB12-NSD subwoofer with 325 watt BASH amp $569

3 pair of SCS-01 Speakers & 1 SCS-01 center $1149
PB12-NSD subwoofer with 325 watt BASH amp $569

I'll go with an Onkyo receiver as well. Not sure of the model, but I'd like something THX certified for sure and obviously something that will power everything well

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I think I will be going with this receiver TX-SR706 for either the 5.1 or 7.1 setup I posted above. Opinions are always welcome

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Kerry,

The 706 is a very nice receiver. Lots of features and good power.

I did hear the speakers you mentioned. I do not own them, so I can't comment much, but if I was looking for bookshelves, they would be on my short list. The problem is what I like vs what you like may be very different. You really need to listen to them yourself. SVS gives you a month or so to decide....

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry

I figured that the 706 would do the trick. Since I'm completely new to this I'm just looking for any many opinions as possible and then making my decision from there. It is nice that SVS does give you a chance to hear them though, I've never seen that anywhere before

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Hi all,

Well, after much debating and research here's what I'm going to get:

Samsung 52" LCD TV (7 series)

SVS 5.0 Hi-output multi-channel system with SCS-01(M) surrounds***
Hi-output 5.0 set above includes two pair SCS-01(M) and one SCS-01 center

SVS PB12-Plus Sub Woofer

Onkyo 706

How does that look everyone?? Also, thank you for all of the help in answering my numerous questions.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
I sure did 750 thanks, ordered from Mason, good guy, knows his stuff
It should be here on Tuesday so I'll post back once it's all set up!!

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Well everyone, I have my TV set up (looks amazing!!) I also received my SVS system, well most of it. The shipping company never sent 1 of my speakers for some reason. So, I have only my front 3 connected for now and it sounds quite good. I'm not sure how optimal things are set up b/c I basically just connected the 3 speakers and turned it on to see if it worked.
I do have a question though. Eventhough the sub woofer I have is a self powered one, does it still have to be connected to my receiver?? If so, do I use regular RCA cables, and where do I connect them?? It's a PB12 Plus woofer and my receiver is an Onkyo 706

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There is a subwoofer out jack (purple - it will be with the other pre-out jacks) on the back of your 706. Connect to the LFE input on your PB12 using an RCA cable (you just need one). You should use either a cable made for the subwoofer or a yellow video cable. You can get an inexpensive cable online at monoprice.com (not sure about Canada orders) or go to a local AV store. Just don't pay too much (Monster is too much).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Just a regular RCA cable for the sub, hooked into the RCA Sub Out on the receiver, is sufficient. I got a 25 footer at Radio Shack for $6. Spending hundreds on a sub cable (which is really just a plain old audio cable) is stupid. Sub-bass is the most forgiving source there is when it comes to cables.

Now, after you get your sub hooked up and the surround speakers arrive from the shipper and are installed, be sure to run the Onkyo's Audessey setup (with the included microphone) to calibrate the output of your speakers. This procedure will output tones from each of your speakers and automatically set the levels so each speaker is outputting the same volume, as heard at different points in the room. This will keep your bass from overpowering your dialog, or your music from drowning out your effects, etc. This is a very important step, and can mean the difference between crappy surround and great surround.

Livestrong

Agent
Real Name
Kerry
Thank you both for the replies. I do have RCA wires that I used to use with my PS3 until I got the HDMI cables for it. These cables include, 1 white, 1 red, and 1 yellow. Can I just use the yellow cable to connect to the sub?? Even if it isn't gold plated!! haha, it's just the regular silver ones..... On the back of the sub, there are a red and a white connection (one set for input and another set for output). Which one does the cable connect into? The LFE you're referring to is the Low Level Input? Please let me know and thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks