What's new

New to HT recievers (1 Viewer)

gixxer527

Auditioning
Real Name
Hector
Hi everyone, I just purchased a Panasonic VT30 series.  My old tv was a 53"  Panasonic projection bought in 2004.   As of now I have the HTIB that I bought.  It's good and seems to do the job.  But I'm thinking of getting a Reciever. The 2 that I narrowed it down to was the Denon AVR 1912 and Panasonic VSX 1021.    Now for the speakers I'm looking at the Energy take care 5.1 based off Cnet.coms review.  And right now crutchfiled.com has the Polk RM 87 at $499 with a free sub woofer which is the PSW-111 valued at $299. I also found a set of RM95 for $270.00. Then I can buy a sub. I also thought of maybe getting floor standing speakers. I've seen a pair of Energy CF 50 for $440. My budget for speakers is around $500.  So I would not have anything else as far as a sub or center or rear speakers but could he those at a later date if needed. I want a nice sound for the money.  It doesn't have to be over the top but I would like it sound nice. My living room is roughly 18x18 with hardwood floors and the ceiling may be 9ft.  The system would be in the corner. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated! Thank you

gixxer527

Auditioning
Real Name
Hector
ok here's what i'm thinking of for speakers, Option 1 4 Polk Audio RTi4 1 Polk Audio CSi A4 1 Polk Audio DSW PRO 440wi all for arounf $675.00 the other option is Option 2 Klispch 2 RF-52 II Floorstanding 1 RC-52 II Center Speaker (not 100% sure if this is the correct center) and 2 rear surround speakers for free with a estimate of $330.00 acording to the Bestbuy salesperson. all for around $625.00 the salesperson suggested getting the 400watt sub($450) for option 2 but at this time i really dont want to go over $700 for speakers. maybe get a sub at a later date if needed. also at some point i would buy stands for RTi4 so eventully that would put me over $700. And this is why i thought if i would apply the money to floor standing speakers, then i would just need 2 for rear speakers. thanks

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
In many cases tower speakers don't add anything musically over bookshelfs, especially at the price range you're talking about. This is true of the Klipsch RF52. They're basically bookshelf speakers in a larger housing. And the larger housing costs more. If you plan on using these for movies, I would look to get the Polk Tsi200 series (with dual 5.25, like the Klipsch's) and get the sub. A sub adds a lot to the experience. Now if you like the sound of the Klipsch more than the Polks, that changes the situation. You want to get the speakers that sound the best to you.

gixxer527

Auditioning
Real Name
Hector
what do you think of the RTi6 speakers or the RTi series vs RTi A, vs TSi? what size sub is a good size. i saw 2 that i may be interested in, the DSW Pro 440wi or the 550wi? Someone told me i shouldnt go 8" but i should go bigger. thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had RTi8's, RTi'6's, RTi4's and a CSi5 a few years ago. They are all very good consumer level speakers (not a critisism) with a very musical sound (whatever that means). Room acoustics play a very big part in all of this and my living room is pretty "bright" with lots of windows and decorative paneling. Stuff that sound waves love to bounce off of. So in my room the RTi's were just too bright sounding so I had to replace them. I always thought the RTi6's and especially the 4's were the best of the group. 4 RTi4's, a CSi3 and a really good sub would be an excellent combination in most rooms. And I think a brighter sound is better for movies and games with lots of explosions, car crashes and things breaking all around. Not so good for long time music listening. The new RTi-A series doesn't seem to be quite as bright as the older version. Either one is very good if the price is right. In fact, Fry's has the RTi12's for $568 (or something close) a pair taday! They were about $1700 new when they first came out. One of the all-time great bargains. The TSi series is pretty good as well I'm sure. I don't really have too much experience with them. The Monitor series is such a good bargain on the internet right now it's tough to recommend the slightly better TSi's at a higher price. And even though I agree with Al in regardes to bookshelves being a much better bargain, I also theorize towers maybe being a bit better in the 80-150hz area. But enough to justify the much higher price? Probably not. Haing said that, I do like towers myself :blush: . Spend your money as you feel I guess. Subwoofers are all about moving air. Bigger the better in most cases. Not that Polk subs are really all that bad but there are much better ones. Do a search of the speaker forum for the most recommended subs like SVS and HSU. Cost a little more but with subs you really do get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks