What's new

new to HT, planning layout (1 Viewer)

C&K

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Hello! I am new to home theater and am planning out my 9x12 room.

Everything will be DIY, and I have the material for the fixed screen which I will make this weekend. The light in the room is sconce and track lighting with dimmers and only one window that I plan to sew some heavy blackout curtains for.

Unfortunately I don't have a loveseat yet for seating, and buying a projector is going to be a while off. I'm currently set on the Infocus IN72.

Sound and input will probably be from a cheap HTIB, something to tide me over since saving up for the projector will take several months...then I can start saving for a really nice sound system (unless I am happy with the cheap HTIB).

Lots of great info on this forum! I'll post some pics of the screen I build this weekend.

Real Name
Tim
Sounds like you and I are in about the same situation. I'm putting my HT in on a shoestring budget and have started slow over the years. 3 years ago, I got a Kenwood HTiB for my surround sound at about $250. It sounds very good, and you should do well with something similiar in a small room that you'll be using.

TigerDirect.com is the cheapest I've found for the Infocus IN72 (which is the projector that I'll be getting in about 2 weeks), at $469.99 (if you buy it before 1/31/07 to get the $200 rebate)

I bought a very nice 'theater style' (at least that's what I call it) love seat 2 years ago from Goods Furniture in Decatur, IL for about $800. It has a center storage between the seats and built in cup holders, and both ends recline. It's very comfortable.

I'll be posting pics of my setup once I get the projector and screen up, but that'll be a couple of weeks.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

C&K

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Star Wars, you are buying premium compared to my budget!

I've found several 5.1 systems in the local classifieds in working condition for under $100. Building the screen and projector mount is going to save me a ton of money. I've already bought the material (Joannes blackout fabric for $15) and am going to build the screen out of pine from home depot. From my specs I've drawn it shouldn't cost me more than $20-30 in supplies, plus some spare wood and screws I have in the garage for brackets.

I won't be getting a HT-type love seat, just a regular one. Been searching craigslist but haven't found one that pops out at me yet. If I can find a reasonably comfortable one that doesn't smell but is selling for cheap because of tears, my target is $25 give or take with a new $100 slip cover.

Hey guys - how's the theater coming from you guys? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, have some room in the basement that I plan on converting to a theater. Have not yet done exact measurments, and don't know if I'll go projector or not. But looking for DIY and on the cheap and improve over time. I have a good stereo system in place (Yamaha w/7.1 currently at 5.1, SVS sub, older def-techs in the front, cheapo surrounds) in the family room that I'll move to the basement when I'm done.

Don't yet know if I'll have one row or two, depends on my ceiling height and how far back I can go. Wondering how you guys have progressed on your "budget" theaters like I want to try and do. Fortunately, I can have my stereo equipment in a separate "closet" area outside the room, allowing me to maximize my space for the theater.

See my draft setup attached (don't know how to embed the images in the post).

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks