What's new

new to HT - need help choosing unit (1 Viewer)

John J. Alvarez

Auditioning
Hi there,
This is my first post here. A member of a mailing list I participate in sent me a link to this forum. He said it is the best place to go to for information. I hope somebody can give me some tips.
Here's my situation, I need some advise. A buddy of mine is a JVC field service engineer and he knows I'm in the market to finally get a HT. He sent me a list of 3 units that he has currently available that he can get me a great price on (I'm looking for a $400 or less starter unit). He recommends the TH-A30 to me. The DS-TP370 looks to be the most powerful but the TH-A30 looks to be the best featured.
DS-TP370
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026883
TH-A30
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026890
TH-A5
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026889
Just to explain my current setup I have:
TV: Sony KV-27S42
VCR: Sony SLV-799HF
DVD: Sony DVP-S330
I live in a 2 family house so I can't really turn it up to 12 that's one of the reason's I am considering either the A5 or A30. The A30 sounds like it has a great DVD Player built in and mine is about 3 or 4 years old now.
Can any of you guys take a look and give me some help? I want to do a little more research this w/e but this is my first HT so I really have no clue what to look for yet. My DVD is running through an Iawa stereo right now. :p
John

AaronJB

Second Unit
Personally, the DS-TP370 seems like the best choice. You already have a DVD player and even though it's an older model, the power of the TP370 seems like an easy choice (just my humble opinion) over the noticably smaller power of the other systems that offer DVD players included. The TP370 has Pro Logic II, as well, while the other systems do not (or at least they don't have it listed as a feature).

Just my 2 cents. Others may have a different opinion.

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with AaronJB, the DS-TP370 would look to be the best choice because of it's overall power being so much greater than the other 2 units. Since you curently have a DVD player that works, I would use the money you had budgeted for a HT system on components you DON'T have yet.
Oh, welcome to the forum!
;)

John J. Alvarez

Auditioning
Sounds good and the reasoning is sound. Like I said, the only reason I was considering the lower powered model was because of the better DVD. I figured I could just stick the old one on the TV in the bedroom. The lower power didn't bother me that much as I rent and can't really blast it anyway. I did wonder if the low power would be enough for the room though. Our LR is about 12'x15' or so. I feared it may be too low even for a room that small.
Does anybody have a differing opinion or any insight about the models?
And thanx for the welcome. :)
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks