New to HT... Looking for advice on entry-mid level system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Ace, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

After watching TV on a 19" for the past 8yrs, I decided to enter the world of HT. I started with a new television (JVC 32D502). I know this is no HDTV but I was being cost-concious. I was able to pick this TV up at sears for $599.00, about $645.00 after tax. My next step was originally the DVD player, but I recently found the Marantz SR5000 for $288.88 at accessories4less, $317.63 after S/H. So I decided to buy this reciever and put it in the closet til after the holidays when I will purchase some speakers and the DVD player. Hopefully I have done the right thing in purchasing this receiver... any input will be appreciated. As a side-note, I was originally looking at the Onkyo TX-DS595 or the Denon AVR-1602, but after talking with a friend who is a heavy HT guy, I went with the Marantz. So, finally for my questions, has anyone compared these receivers? Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent set of speakers (trying to stay under $500.00 before S/H)? I have seen the reviews about the Fluance and was seriously considering that set plus the addition of a 10" sub. Well, any input would be appreciated. - Thnx

2. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

If you can stretch your budget a little (to about $700) here is a pretty good deal on a great speaker package (including sub) http://sql.onecall.com/SPL_513.htm. Good luck.
    Jay

3. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

Thanks for the reply Jay. I will consider the speaker package. Any other replies will be reatly appreciated.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

For speakers I would suggest you look at Paradigm brand. You could go with 2 pair of Atoms and a CC-70 for center. This should be around $500, although, you will probably want a sub-woofer to go along with this speaker combination. I bought a 32" JVC TV about 6 years ago and have been pleased with its performance.

Welcome to the HT Forum. I must warn you -- now that you have caught the Home Theater Bug, there is no cure. It is a fun hobby/obsession. Good luck and happy shopping.

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hello. I don't own the Fluance speakeer system but I did order 2 pairs for co-workers recently. They came to my house because I actually purchased them for my co-workers and they paid me when they came to pick them up. Anyway, I can say that they sound much better than I thought they would and suprisingly the build quality is pretty good for their price. They are actually pretty heavy with a good strong feel to them. The sound was a little bright but I'm sure that they needed to be broken in. If you really wanted to stretch your money, I would give these a try and spend the rest of the money on a quality sub like the SVS or try my new favorite place which is acoustic-visons.com. I had my sub built by them at crazy savings without sacrificing build or sound quality. Tell them the price your looking for and what performance you're looking for and Kyle will hook you right up. At the price of the Fluance set it won't be hard to upgrade later because of the minimal amount of funds you intitially invested.

6. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I wrote the recent review of the Fluance 5 speaker set and I must say that my original impressions still hold. I think they sound pretty good for $250 shipped. Now that they've broken in for a while they really sound good. How big is your room? They might not do well in a large room.

I'm waiting for the right deal on a Sony SA-WM40 sub. I figure I should be able to get one for $150 or less. That would make for $400. I think it's a great set for that price.

Bruce

7. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

energy take 5.2 speakers for 379 at wholesaleconnection.com

8. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Duplicate

9. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

I am going to agree with Marty on his recommendation of the Paradigm Atoms. In my first Home theater setup I was using the Paradigm Atoms all the way around with a PS-1000 sub woofer. The quality of sound I was getting from these little speakers was very impressive.

The only other thing I would recommend would be for you to use a fifth Atom as your center channel. This will create a seamless soundfield across your front and rear soundstage.

I think Paradigm's would be a great match for your new marantz reciever.

Greggor

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    does the $500 include a sub?
    if so: JBL NSP1 package ($299 at www.jandr.com) or the Energy Take 5.2 package (price listed above) + Sony SA-WM40 sub (~$130 at best buy). another option is the www.hometheaterdirect.com Level II system.
    if not: Paradigms are awesome...see what you can get at your local dealer. then how much are you willing to spend for a sub? the Sony performs great for the price, and if you cant allocate more than, say, $300 for a sub, get it and wait until you can make the move to an SVS. [​IMG]
    my $.02

11. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

Thanks for the current inputs. Any other inputs would be welcomed.