What's new

New to HT - Got all the components, what's next? (1 Viewer)

Wil Lee

Grip
Hi Everyone,

I had the luck of stumbling upon this site three weeks ago and the forums have been helpful and informative. I've even found it safe to ask dumb questions and many, if not all, of you are very supportive and encouraging. With that being said, I have another "newbie" question but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right from the get-go because I'm very excited (and anxious) about my first HT set-up.

I have the AV receiver, 5.1 speakers, DVD player and the TV is on its way. It's time to put it all together. I want to make sure when the TV arrives that it's not an anticlimatic moment when I realize I'm missing something and cannot set up immediately. What's the next step? Is there a thread that walks me through it or gives me a step-by-step guide on connecting the components? After the components are hooked up, I would need to calibrate the picture and sound (right?). I plan to follow the primer in the hardware archive?
After calibration, what's next? Am I done?

Anxiously needing help.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
First off..welcome!

Secondly, would you please list the brand/models of all your new equipment so people can better determine what needs to be done??

Good luck with the set up ..oh...and enjoy!

Alfer

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
A SPL meter from Radio Shack, and one of the common set up DVD's are all that you need from here. Maybe good cables you trust (Not necessarily Monster), etc.

Beyond that, sit back and enjoy what you have, and remember that this is about movies, not the equipment.

Yeah right.

Good Luck!

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
The instruction manuals will be your best friend. Read each one at least twice. Front to back.

Next you will want to purchase the new DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS DVD. This will walk you through setting your new audio and video system to proper calibration, for this you will indeed need the Radio Shack Analog SPL Meter to balance the audio portion of your system.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wil,

Like Darren said, you need to study your manuals. But beyond that, This post should help with connections. After everything is connected, you’ll still need to calibrate everything, as others here have noted.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wil Lee

Grip
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Just to repeat what everyone said: read all the instruction manuals and then connect all the components. After that I will need to do the AV calibration with a SPL meter and set up DVDs like Avia or VE. Where do I purchase the set up DVDs? Do you suggest owning or just borrowing the meter and DVDs?

After calibration, is that it? Am I ready? :D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I suggest owning - I use my meter maybe weekly, the disc monthly, but I like to tweak.

Amazon has Avia, but some searching will turn up a lot of options.

Look for Sound and Vision's disc, I hear it's pretty good.

Yes, you are ready after that! Have fun!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Wil,

And don't forget the movies. The calibration DVDs are fine - but you need the real stuff too. :) What movies are going to be your first?

Cees

Wil Lee

Grip
Thanks for everyone's reply. I have a two new question now.

1. I will be hooking up the roof antenna (I know, I know) to the monitor to watch TV. I would like to get the sound through the 5.1 speakers. I assume that I will need to use a cable from the TV to the AV Receiver. If this is true, what kind of cable and what brand of cable do I use?

2. I would like the DVD player to use component video cables to get the best clarify in picture. However, considering that I'm only going to be using an antenna, can the component cables go directly to the TV in lieu of going to the receiver (I'm assuming if it goes into the receiver, the TV will also need a set of component video cables to receiver). Also, if I use component video, what kind of audio cables do I use for the DVD player?

Gosh, I hope this all makes sense...it did in my head.

:)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
1. Red and white audio cables, that go from the audio out jacks on the TV to the appropriate audio in jacks on the receiver.

2. As long as there is a component input on the TV, that's the way to go - directly from the DVD to the TV. For the audio from the DVD player, typically a digital cable from the DVDp to the AV rec. is the norm. Optical or coaxial, whatever is most convienient.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I happen to use Dayton (Parts Express) for my component, sub, and several audio pairs. Great build, very flexible, and the signals seem to flow well. This is my first and only set of component, so I have nothing to compare to other than S-vid. I'm getting the system dialed in and can't give an opinion other than the great build quality for the money.

I have used Monster optical, and it worked fine for years. I sold it later. It held up well, but seemed cheaply built for what I paid for it.

I also use a Vince custom coax digital, nice build and works great.

I guess I'd offer up Dayton from Parts Express. Total up the $$ plus shipping and then compare to what you can find elsewhere. Consider the build quality from Dayton to be top notch, without being overly fancy or hyped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks