New to HT: Floorstanding vs Bookshelf?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dan Belina, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Dan Belina

Dan Belina Agent

Jun 13, 2002
    Ok, I've been taking look at and listening to the various options for speakers out there. I have a couple of questions:

Is a sub needed when using floorstanding front speakers, or only with bookshelf speakers?

I suppose, if it is possible with a receiver, one might be able to use a crossover with floorstanding speakers to cut out the real low stuff. I was probably going to get something on the lines of a Yamaha 5760 or Onkyo 601...are those receivers capable of doing that?

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Apr 8, 2003
    Yes, set the crossover to the same or higher than the rated speaker's LF response.

Personally if you're looking for towers, you need to get high quality (therefore expensive) speakers. If you have a smaller budget go for standmounts instead.

I would say £600 or less- buy standmounts
    £1000> floorstanders.

Of course you can buy £3000 standmounts, but that's another story ;-)
  3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Feb 9, 2004
    I started my speaker shopping six months ago with the intention of going with floorstanders and three months later I ended up with standmounts. IMO, for the same money, the quality in standmounts is better than for floorstanders. They are also easier to position for imaging, again in my opinion. There are fantastic floorstanders out there (the brand and series I bought makes some fine ones, but out of my budget), but in my smallish space, standmounts were a better fit. And as JohnSmith points out above (short of spending a whack of money), you'll need a sub for HT regardless.

Good luck.
  4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Feb 21, 2004
    and i recently, after using my matching bookshelf rears as fronts, and deciding i liked the sound, in conjunction with my sub and room, better that way, took my floorstanding fronts back and exchanged them for bookshelves for the front, instead.

i would be careful to make generalizations about floorstanders vs. bookshelves, though, because i think individual experience will vary from speaker to speaker, sub to sub, and room to room.