New to HT: advice on audio system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Hill, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Michael Hill

Michael Hill Auditioning

I have recently purchased a 55" Mitsubishi Platinum + TV and a Sony NS700 DVD player. I am looking to spend less than $1500 on a reciever and a set of speakers including sub-woofer. My room is relatively very small 13'X13' and hence I do not need a lot of wattage to get the "theater sound". The configuration I am looking at is:

Denon 1802 Reciever

HTD Level II or Level III speakers

Sony SA-WM40 sub-woofer

I am looking for aome advice. Am I in the right direction? Does anyone have an opinion vis-a-vis HTD Level II vs. Level III speakers? Thanks a lot.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi michael - welcome to htf!
    all the components you picked are well regarded here. i really like denon receivers, and the sony sub has gotten nothing but great reviews. i don't have any experience with the htd, but like i said...most people here like them.
    i think you'll be very happy with that setup.
    i do recommend you blow an afternoon and go listen to some other speakers. they are the most subjective and that way, when your htd's arrive, you'll have something to gauge the sound against.
    oh yeah...one way to approach wattage. try not to think of it in terms of lots of wattage for big theater sound. think of if in terms of lots of wattage for good sound at lower volumes with less distortion! [​IMG]

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Yes, although I would spend more on the subwoofer (major part of the HT experience). You might consider HTD Level IIIs for the mains & center and Level IIs for the surrounds. I would go with the Adire Rava or Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer if possible. Another good system is the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s (L/C/R) + HTM200 surrounds + quality subwoofer. Have you seen www.cheaphometheater.com? They have some good reviews of the equipment you've mentioned...

4. Michael Hill

Michael Hill Auditioning

Thanks. This is very helpful.