new to home theaters

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Greg...W, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

ok, well im finally possibly in the market for a basic home theater setup.

what i have:
    PS2 as DVD player
    Sony Trinitron 36"
    Aiwa NSX-V21
    www.csee.wvu.edu/~gregoryw/layout.GIF

the scale is a bit off on that picture, but it is good enough to understnad where stuff is. ok, well obviously the PS2 isn't the best dvd player in the world, so that is a definite upgrade. a new tv is out of the question at the moment. that aiwa is just a normal cd/radio/tape player with my tv hooked up to it. two front speakers, two satellites - so i have quasi-surroundsound. also, that speaker on the right by the sliding door is sitting on the floor, so it really isn't doing much. it's an apartment, so two things on that: first, i cannot mount speakers on walls/ceilings; second, really loud subwoofer (well, any of it) = bad.

what i want:
    *definitely* new DVD player
    a decent, real 5.1 surround sound system
    budget of around $300-$400

id really prefer not to go for a "home theater in a box," as i understand that their upgradability is limited. however, this is pretty much gonna have to last me for a least 3 years anyway, so by then, i may just get a whole new system. id also prefer it to be something i can pick up a a store, test it, and return it if the system doesn't work in the room (acoustics and all). but if it comes highly enough recommended, i might just order it.

whether or not i get the 5.1 stuff, i need a dvd player. that is an absolute must. the tv is not hd (no progressive scan) and has no component vid (has s-video), so i don't need any fancy doodads. i just want something that is quality and for a relatively cheap price.

lastly, before you guys tell me to go look at other posts first, i already have. i think i went all the way back to page 20+ when i was bored the other day.

i really know nothing about this as far as buying goes, but i know something good when i hear/see it. so, any help you guys could give me in this would be wonderful.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the HTF Greg, you've come to the right place for tonnes of great HT info. I fixed the url for you, simply use the "url" button and insert the address in the future.

It looks like your best bet, especially for a system to keep you for just 3 years with that budget, is a HTIB. Some of them are decent enough and will give you your receiver, speakers and often times a dvd player of some kind as well.

3. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

well, i tried the url thing a few ways, but it said something like i couldn't post one because i haven't posted 15 times yet. *sigh*

anyway, i've been looking around for a while, and have decided that i will probably have to go for a htib. anyone have any suggestions on these? i found an interesting one while searching over at circuit city's web site, and i was planning to head over there tomorrow to check it out. its a Panasonic SCHT700 (id post the link, but i need those 15 other posts first, heh). prog scan, DD/DTS 5.1, 5 disk DVD changer...all for ~$350. any thoughts on that? of course, im gonna look/listen to it for real before i buy it, but others' opinions are always nice.

two questions i forgot on the first post. where is a good place to find relatively cheap speaker stands? the ones at circuit city are really expensive, imho. also, am i going to need anything else besides the system itself, like better cables or anything?

thanks for any help you guys can give me.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Post what you can on the link for us.

5. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10041&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_8&oid=69902
    ok, just add the circuitcity.com/ infront of that.

also, here is panasonic's site
    catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=64106&catGroupId=11136&modelNo=SC-HT700&surfModel=SC-HT700

6. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Hey Greg,
    Welcome to the forum. I was wondering if your $300-$400 budget includes everything or is the DVD player seperate from that?
    The reason I ask is because you could get this Onkyo system that is often recommended for $400 but it doesnt include a DVD player.
    http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog_det...&p=i&ext_war=1
    You can pick up a DVD player for under $100 almost anywhere now but that would put your budget up to $500 total.
    The next time youre in circuit city check out the Onkyo system. Maybe you can find one marked down.

7. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

yeah, i had my eye on that one earlier, but it is (probably) too high for my price range. that $400 is *with* the DVD player. although i might be able to talk my dad into it =p.

8. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I think you could pretty much choose any HTIB, that is what you are limited to with that budget. So you should probably approach it from a "features" standpoint. Samsung makes a great system, IMO, the htdm550 , which will get you a 70watt per channel system including the DVD player. I like it because it has dolby pro-logic 2. Defintiely look for Dolby Pro-logic 2.

I think the bigger issue would be to work on your speaker placement. If you are able to move furniture, I would recomend moving your couch to where the chair is, place one surround on the "north" and "south walls, and move the tv to the flat wall on the right side.

9. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

alright, so i got to looking around at rex, the only local place with this kind of stuff (closest best buy is like 1.5hrs, and circuit city is 45mins...going there thurs). i saw some nice stuff there, but i think i am really against htib with the dvd player built into the receiver now. also, how much better it pro logic 2?

so, basically, i am now looking for a 5.1 + receiver set (with 2 digital ins preferably, and possibly pro logic 2) and a separate dvd player. what are your opinions on this one?
    /flexon/site/Audio/Home_Theater_Systems/YGF88ZEARSBACX8J85CY/sku.html

you need rexstores.com infront of that. it will leave enough cash for a good dvd player to go along with it.

also, i was already planning on re-arranging my room. you said to put the tv on the right wall, jonathan. only problam is, is that the right wall is a sliding glass door. here are two setups that i have been playing with.

/~gregoryw/possibles.gif
    add csee.wdu.edu infront

this whole thing where i cant link yet it getting very annoying, heh.

10. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Don't think the onkyo HTIAB's are bad. I have one(no DVD player though in it) and it sounds great. I think I paid around $400 at circuit city for it. Reciever speakers sub all but the player. Probably can find a decent DVD player to go along with it for $100 more than likely too.

11. Jonathan Dagmar

i see what you mean about your layout. That will be a tricky room to work with. Your URL doesn't work, but I will say that your main goal should be to get the TV and speakers out of the corner, and along a wall. ONce you do that you can go from there.

F C F

LS Sofa RS

12. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

last post for the night. try to put a www infront of that csee.wvu.edu i just tried it myself and it should work.

13. Jonathan Dagmar

still not working..

14. Greg...W

Greg...W Auditioning

ok, well i decided on my surround sound and dvd player. now i just have to wait till christmas to use them, lol. anyway, i just have like 2 more quick questions. first, i know i'm going to need new wires, for length reasons. the longest piece will have to be roughly 40 feet for the rear right speaker. i've heard you can buy 12 gauge by the foot at home depot. how much is it there? also, is there anywhere else to get it? the closest home depot is like an hour and a half away, heh. i've looked at both my local lowe's (like home depot), and i haven't been able to find any there. will i even need 12 gauge? second question, i think i might pick up a universal remote, seeing as how i will have 3 for all of this stuff. i need one with tv, dvd, and receiver controls on it, for a reasonable price. all items are sony, if that makes a difference.

15. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    Congratulations on choosing a system. What did you decide on anyway?
    As far as the speaker wire goes 16 gage will work just fine. I'm surprised you cant find it at lowes. Sometimes even walmart carries it. You should be able to find a spool of 100 ft. for under $30.

16. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

At Lowes look in the electrical wiring department, near the conduit and breakers.

17. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

Here is the corrected URL for his layout.

http://www.csee.wvu.edu/~gregoryw/possibles.GIF

As for speaker wire, I don't know where you are, but I'll bet you are less than 10min from a Radio Shack. Get a roll there. It'll be pretty cheap, not as cheap as Bulk wire at Home Depot but not bad....about $8-10 for a 60ft spool.

18. Joshua_M

Joshua_M Agent

Greg, you have PM