New to Home Theater ...What speakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Young, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Mike Young

Mike Young Auditioning

I have been reading as many forums as I possibly can. (I am working midnights so I have had lots of time on my hands)
    My room is long and narrow...about 12X35 (this is only an extimate) and it is in the basement. I am looking for something for 80% home theater and 20% music. Yesterday I actually auditioned some Mirage omnipolars. They were not to bad but was not overly impressed (although they were running on a Panasonic receiver) I have been very impressed with the reviews that Axiom speakers have received and I was pretty much sold on them. ( I still want to audition them) What axiom setup would be the best for me in my rectangular shaped room and what receiver would you pair with those speakers. I looked at some Marantz receivers today but didnt get to audition them.Has anybody had the chance to compare Axiom speakers to the Mirage speakers(any comparable Mirage speakers)
    My price range would be about 2000 CDN$ for speakers and about 800-1000 for a receiver but I want to get the best for my money and any recommendations would be appreciated.
    I am open to any suggestions on speakers and receivers.

Thanks

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

In Canada, look at Paradigm. Being a Canadian company, they sell their speakers cheap in Canada. Heck, I thought they were a good deal, and I paid the higher US price. Go to www.paradigm.ca and find a dealer near you to go listen. You will probably be looking at the Studio line for bookshelves, or the Monitor line if you want floorstanding speakers.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Out of curiosity, which way will you set up? The long way with the TV on the 12' wall or the short way, with the TV area on the 35' wall?

Nothing to do with the speakers, really...

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Paradigm isn't the only game in Canada. I personally prefer PSB. Energy is another line from Canada but it doesn't have the same price/performance ratio as the other 2.

Are you keen on the notion of DIY?

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

For $2k Cdn you can get some wicked speaker setups!

For $2k you could to Paradigm Studio series all around. You could do B&W 602's or 601's combo.

You could do Axiom, heck you could do LOTS AND LOTS and LOTS.

I think you need to visit EVERY Speaker shop in your city and listen to what they have. No future shop or chain stores. Go listen to every REAL Hi-Fi store. Tell them your price range and insist to hear everything.

I would listen to stuff way below your price range to start, then work your way up to more expensive / close to your range stuff. Reason? If you can't tell the difference between the $1000 setup and the $2000 setup, why spend the $2000???

6. Mike Young

Mike Young Auditioning

I will be setting the TV up along the 12' wall. And the room is actually only 26 feet long not 35. Hey I got the length right anyway. I am going to look around at a number of places this weekend and try and find a place that has axioms. Anybody in the Hamilton area know where the closest Stereo store that has Axioms let me know.