What's new

New to home theater...looking for a TV (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Gregg Loewen said:
I think that anybody that is looking for a 5 year plus display life is not living in current reality (though your mileage my vary...good luck!)
have fun!!

Gregg
What then would you consider is a "reality" life span? And Im talking some of the best manufactures; Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.

joe39mess

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Messina
My pioneer Kuro was bought in 2007 and still smokes anything on the market today. My new Panasonic vt60 is the only thing that comes close. And the zt60 as well.

porterdavidm

Auditioning
Real Name
David Porter
Gregg Loewen said:
I think that anybody that is looking for a 5 year plus display life is not living in current reality (though your mileage my vary...good luck!)
Gregg (or anyone else) -
Do you think 5+ year life is not realistic due to quality of the displays today or rather how quickly technology is advancing? Only curious because I have a 6 year old Pioneer PDP5070HD, and it still works as well as it did new. Wondering if I will always be wishing for that quality again.
David

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
porterdavidm said:
Gregg (or anyone else) -
Do you think 5+ year life is not realistic due to quality of the displays today or rather how quickly technology is advancing? Only curious because I have a 6 year old Pioneer PDP5070HD, and it still works as well as it did new. Wondering if I will always be wishing for that quality again.
David
There is no more "great TV" to buy anymore.

When Pioneer, Hitachi(Hitachi died. Anything you see Hitachi now is an ODM POS) and later, Mitsubishi exited the market. The phrase "I bought it 10 years ago" is something you'll no longer hear when it comes to a TV.

Everybody wants a POS Samsung*, Vizio and Haier/TCL/ODM.

*6500/8500 plasma excepted.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the 5 year end point for several reasons:

1. Change of technology, wanting new technology, compatibility with new technology.
2. Durability of technology

I would take this product over ANY product available in the past 5 years (including the Pioneer Kuros).

samsung oled.jpg

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
jim, if you were able to view this set...you would quickly get past the curved part and focus on the black part.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I keep hoping they'll overcome the manufacturing issues with OLED because it does make an amazing image, but I need it to come down in price quite a bit.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Andrew,

2014 models are coming soon...

My 2 cents worth...

I just went through a major & EXHAUSTING research a while ago on getting a new main TV (Sooo many LEDs!!)
(finally went Sammy plasma once again)
But am still deciding on an ~40" 1080pLED for the HT in my vacation trailer on the east coast.
(To replace a HORRIBLE older LCD there ~OK for DVD NOT B-Rs)

I did review LED sets quite a bit & It seems LG, Philips, Sammy & Sony (not in any order) seemed to be at or near the top for many reviews & PQ.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Personally I would stay clear of the LG, I know there are some here that will say LG is great. But from the people I have spoken with and what I have seen LG is not all that great. I would stick with Samsung, Sony, Panasonic for sure and you may want to check out the Sharps as well.

IMG_1505.JPG

I almost got the Sony but ended up getting this Samsung 55" UHD TV and I love it!

daltandale

Auditioning
Real Name
daltandale
It will be better to go with the branded one with the selection of home theater. Why because, It gives the best quality output with their features.

paramountprojector

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Before switching to an LG plasma a couple years ago (and that was solely a matter of getting 3D set), I had a Samsung LED from late 2009, 40", and I never had a problem with it. I ended up giving it to a relative, and it's still working fine today. Viewing angles seemed pretty good, picture quality was pretty good, and it weighed about nothing. If I was going to go for another LED, I'd probably get another Samsung just based on that experience.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The new LG OLED is awesome. Same with the current LG LEDs that are THX certified.

myjupitermx

Auditioning
Real Name
Jupiter
for your comparison
Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater
[*]4 HDMI Inputs and 1 output with support for 3D and Audio Return Channel
[*]WRAT Amplifier Technology,2-Year Warranty
[*]Direct Digital Connection of iPod®/iPhone® via Front USB Port
[*]Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio
[*]Easy Settings Change with On Screen Display via HDMI
[/list]
w.png

We bought this system to replace our 10 year old Sony system that had died on us. The sound quality is actually much better than the system that we had before that cost twice as much, The set-up is really nice as they have each speaker color-coded and ready to go. All of the speakers seem to be made very well and we expect this system to hold up for a good while. I definitely recommend this set to anyone who doesn't want to spend too much on a quality sound system.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I know there are people that love Goldstar tv's but have seen to many LG issues and to many people who had bad LG tv's and talked to sales people who have told me it is one of there biggest returns because of problems. I honestly do not see how they get so highly rated and I have yet to see a LG aka Goldstar tv that came close to impressing me. But to each his own and that is what it is all about, as long as your happy with something that is all that matters.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I know there are people that love Goldstar tv's but have seen to many LG issues and to many people who had bad LG tv's and talked to sales people who have told me it is one of there biggest returns because of problems. I honestly do not see how they get so highly rated and I have yet to see a LG aka Goldstar tv that came close to impressing me. But to each his own and that is what it is all about, as long as your happy with something that is all that matters.
So why knock LG TV's then?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks