New to Home Theater...Anyone have a spare paddle?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Arment, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Keith Arment

Keith Arment Auditioning

Apr 8, 2002
    I am new to Home Theater, but anxious to get my feet wet!

I am currently in the process of refinishing about 1500 SF of basement space, and I'm lucky enough to have a sliver of the space allocated to a media/home theater room. This space will be approx. 13'x 23' x 8'.

I now have the daunting task of selecting the components that will comprise my system.

I have investigated several screen alternatives (and have viewed many commentaries on this site), and I am leaning towards a Phillips/Marantz PV6480W. Anyone have any opinions on this unit? I am able to get a factory refurbished unit for 1/2 the retail price...any concerns there? I like the screen size and picture quality this unit provides. My primary picture experience will be via cable or DSS signal. I also hope to enjoy DVD's and limited HDTV channels (currently 2 in my area) on this unit.

This will be my first experience with theater sound, so where should I begin? My original budget allowed for the same dollars allocated to screen, rcvr/dvd, and speakers.

Because I currently have a blank slate (both physically in the unfinished basement, and figuratively within my lack of knowledge/experience), I would like to ensure that I make sound decisions at this time to obtain an environment that will make my experience a real delight.

Kudo's in advance for any assistance that you all can provide...K!
  2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Feb 20, 2000
    Well,it is impossible for any of us to pick out your speakers,every one sounds different to everybody.If I had the luxury of starting all over,I would select my speakers and then a reciever or amp that is well known to work with said speakers.

Dvd player wise,well,take your budget and get one in that price range.I do not know anything about the tv you mentioned,does it accept progressive scan?If so,get a progressive scan dvd player.I have not bought a dvd player nor have I looked for well over a year so again,I am not much help there.

As far as everything else,is the room carpeted?What kind of furniture do you have,or do you have any for in there?You might want to paint the walls a nice rich dark color,mabey add some curitans on either side of the tv,speaking of tv,check into a projector.You can usually get a decent projector for the price of a rptv and with the size of your room,a projector would fit.

You have quite a challenge ahead of you,making everything fit together,but that is what this hobby is all part is.....its fun.Read here,do lots of it.If you find a product you like,search for it,there is almost always going to be somthing about it here.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted!
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001

welcome to htf!

it sounds like you've already got the video taken care of, so now to move to the audio side.

1. receiver: depending on what you're looking for, a typical receiver will cost you anywhere from about 300 all the way to 2K or higher. you'll have to look at specific brands to see what you like. some recommendations include onkyo, outlaw, denon, & yamaha.
    2. speakers: imo, this is the most subjective part of the audio chain. a speaker that sounds like crap to me may sound golden to your ears. you should definitely visit as many places as you can and hear all the speakers possible. then you'll start getting an idea for what sounds "good" to you. as long as you like the way they sound, then that is all that matters. some brands to consider include: polk, infinity, energy, definitive technologies, paradigm, & klipsch[/list=1]

also, be sure to use the search function. i'd go to each specific forum, then lookup "recommend" "suggestion" or words like that. i'm positive you'll find many hits.

also, take some time to read the ht primer at the top of this forum - lots of good info there.

hope that helps a little...let us know if you have any other questions!
  4. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Jun 2, 2001
    I'd like to throw out the suggestion of B&W speakers as well, though I'm unsure as to your budget.
    I have B&W's and just because I think they sound great doesn't mean you will. Look up the audio/home theater specialty shops you have in your area, walk in and tell them your budget. They'll take you to whatever they have that meets that criteria. Bring along some of your own music to audition the speakers with. They'll have stuff for you to listen to there, but for auditioning it's best to listen to something that you're familiar with. Shop around.
    I'd like to suggest the way I bought my speakers as a possibility for you, if budget becomes a concern. I had my eye on the B&W CDM line, but didn't have the cash to get the full 5-speaker set that I wanted. Instead of settling on some speakers that I didn't really want, I just bought the main left and right speakers. I then saved up some more over the next year or so and picked up the surrounds and center channel. It took a little longer to put together, but ultimately I got a better set of speakers this way than if I'd compromised on what I wanted at the start.
    Also, I'm going to tell you up front that if and when you go looking for a subwoofer, you're going to hear about SV Subwoofers from HTF members. They're one of the only exceptions that I made to the "Audition, audition, audition" rule of speaker buying. They're an internet-only company, and I can assure you that their products and customer service are top-notch. Every interaction that I have had with them has been great. You might want to check them out as well.
    Hope some of this helps. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new hobby!