new to home cinema, complete system or seperates??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey.S, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Mikey.S

Mikey.S Extra

first, hello to you all this is my first post. [​IMG]
    as i have said i am completley new to hthe home cinema thing involving dolby digital, although at present i have a pro logic hi-fi sytem that i use with a 29' normal tv.
    ive been doing some browsing and research into a new system. when i first started looking i was sure i was going to get a complete home theater sytem as an all in one package, but now ive done some research im not so sure.
    im from uk and stuff is more expensive over here. comparing the all in one packages im interested in the sony dav550 and also the jvc qp112-al which is a new one but i cant any info on it. the dav550 i can get for £450 and the jvc for £515.
    after researching the seperates im thinking about the following :-
    AMP - DENON 1603(£284) or PIONEER VSX811s(£315)
    DVD - TOSHIBA SD220E(£125) or PIONEER DV350(£140)
    SPEAKERS - MISSION m72 surround package(£284)
    obviously the seperates route is gonna be more expensive as i need to buy cables, speaker wire etc but do you think it would be worth it over the all in one sytems??
    also anyone know anything about the jvc qp112-al system. any help would be appreciated about the seperates choices, or the all in ones.
    thanks mike(sorry if ive posted in the wrong bit [​IMG] )

2. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

You should know that the term "separates" usually refers to a preamplifier/processor, tuner, and amplifier combination, as opposed to a receiver which incorporates all of those items into one box. But I know what you mean.

Whether you get standalone components or an HTIB system depends on the size of the room, your budget, and how much sound quality means to you. The HTIB systems I've heard tend to have more obvious distortion and less powerful bass. The speakers are usually a weak point. I'd never buy one myself, but for someone with extremely limited space it could be the way to go.

I'd suggest you go with a receiver, standalone DVD player, and some decent speakers. You can do better than an HTIB, even with roughly the same amount of money.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Buy separates (receiver, dvd player, etc.). They're worth the extra trouble.
    And don't worry about interconnects & speaker wire: I wouldn't pay more than $10-$20 for a 1 meter interconnect. And 16-12 gauge speaker wire w/banana plugs from Radio Shack is all you'll need.
    LJ

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Welcome to the Forum

Your room and your budget will determine what will be best for you. Take some time and audition. What ever you decide will not be your last decision. Upgrading is the nature of this hobby. In the last four years I've changed many things in my system. And I'm still not done. After many thousands of dollars. And much auditioning and reading and thinking. I still have many decisions to make as to where I want to go in my system.

As to $10-$20 dollar for cables and interconnect? That's a starting point. But, as you learn and listen in this hobby; it's only a starting point. I've spend considerable on both. And with each upgrade I make. Newer and better cables have to be considered. The last thing I want is a cheap cable to be my weak link in the system. But, again budget has to be considered.

I have gone the separate route and would not even consider going back to a receiver. But, to each his own. Feel free to ask for opinions. But, also remember that they are only opinions. The decision is still yours.

Good luck!

5. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Do you plan on listening to music (vinyl, CD, etc) w/the system?
    If you do, I HIGHLY recomend seperates.
    If you just plan on movies, save the $$ and go for a quality reciever.
    Many will disagree w/me (and thats ok), just my opinion.

6. Mikey.S

Mikey.S Extra

cheers for the advice folks i think ill build one up myself from whats been said. has anyone heard nayhting about the jvc qp112al theater system. i cant find anyhtibg on it although its sold by numerous suppliers over here in the uk??