What's new

New To Home Audio (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'm new to the Home Audio scene so please humor me.

I am thinking of using the JBL NSP1 speaker package along w/ a Pioneer VSX-D811S reciever as my first Home Audio set-up. Does this sound like a good match-up? I'm open to all sugestions but I'd like to spend under $1K for the whole set-up.

Thanks,

James Morrison

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
For someone who is new to the game, you seem to have done your homework. I think you'll find numerous threads on this site that talk about what great values each of your choices are.
As far as receivers go, you'll be hard-pressed to find a 6.1 capable receiver with the same quality and feature set as the Pioneer for the same money ($399). A few other 6.1 receivers that you might want to look at are the Panasonic SA-HE100 ($299), the Kenwood VR-6060 ($499), the Onkyo TX-SR600 ($499), and the Yamaha RXV-630 / HTR-5560 (they are essentially the same receiver with a price of $499). You should be able to do better than the prices I have listed. IMHO you should concentrate your efforts on the Pioneer and the Yamaha.
As far as speakers go, I am sure our JBL-crazy :) friend Phil will be extremely pleased with your choice. If you want a few more ideas, you might want to check out this buyers guide.
Hope that helps,
Jeff

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the $499 range, there are few receivers better than the Marantz SR5200. I recently helped a friend put together a system along the lines of what you are looking at, and got the whole thing for right about $1K (not including any sources - CD, DVD, etc...).

Marantz SR5200 - $549 (You could drop down to the 4200 for $399)
JBL NSP-1 - $250
Sony SA-WM40 - $150

I was quite impressed with the setup for the price paid. Definitely give as many components a listen before you buy.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
As always, I agree with John. My opinion is that the Marantz is the best receiver for around $500 or less.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
james morrison

may i remind you that you also need to take into account the price you have to pay for cables?

last year, i was such an innocent newbie. i didnt know that speaker cables were quite expensive. i didnt know .that component video cable costed 40 bucks at radioshack. subwoofer cable for 22 bucks. i ended up spending about 100 bucks more than my budget.

and i recommend paradigm cinema cc70, as always.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
The pioneer can be had all over the net @ 300.00
the JBL-nsp-1 @ JandR.com for 249.00 no shipping
the sony sa-wm40 @ 130.00 just about everywhere
you might look to JBL for a sub as well, i think the model # is pb-10 for about 229.00-279.00.the pioneer has all the bells and whistles and is easily upgraded with a bigger amp, has about every input one could possibly want . I have this receiver installed in a room 25x14 and it does just fine , even with my little monitors it will play loud and clean. I realize some people look down on pioneer as being run-of-the mill, but no says anything about the bad reveiw the Marantz sr-7000 got in S&V , i believe it was last november? my advice is listen to as many as you can then make your decision, regardless of what I or anyone else says

don't be in a hurry,shop around.

Felxi,

I'm aware of the cost of wire, I've been in the Car Audio scene for a few years now. It's just the home audio that I'm new to. =)

Thanks for all the help,

James M.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
James, from your other thread and familarity with car audio I take it you don't mind building enclosures for speakers. If so, have you considering building all of your speakers? There are numerous speaker kits out there that represent huge price/performance values.

Dustin,

You know, I haven't thought of that. Mainly because I figured that it would be much cheaper just to go w/ an assembled package. What kind of speakers would I want to use? Yes, I'm very able to build my own enclosures/crossovers/ect.

Thanks,

James M.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Depends entirely on what you want to spend. There isn't that much out there for $250 for 5 speaker kits, but if you can go up another c bill or two your options really open up.
http://www.speakerpage.com/Kits.htm
Two pair of the sheilded bookshelves and the dual woofer center from these guys would be about the cheapest you could get.
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/dht/
This wouldn't be quite as good and only marginally cheaper.
http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ayton2way.html
http://www.partsexpress.com/resource...ayton_iii.html
These are two other excellent designs by Wayne that are pretty easy on the pocket book.
Probably more than you want to spend, but this one would be quite impessive:
http://www.audax.com/doit/us_ht03.shtml
I'll let your search out Adire's and GR-Research's speaker kits as they will run you even more than the audax system.
But with any of them, I'd still stick with a Shiva/DaytonDVC12" or Tempest/DaytonDVC15" for the sub.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
There's nothing wrong with NSP1, but you can do better for a grand.

I'd go 2 notches up in the jbl line and pick up two pair of JBL s26's (series 1) from J&R Music for $149 per pair plus free shipping, then get the s-center somewhere else online for $150. I'd pick up the Sony SA-WM40 sub for $140 and use the remaining $400 for the best available receiver at that price. That will blow away the NSP1 series. The only drawback is size - the S26's are fairly large bookshelf speakers, if that matters to you.

There are other great options in different speakers lines, but that is my JBL recommendation. The NSP1 series is more for someone with a budget limited to about $600. At your budget, you should do better. Also, I agree with the other poster - adding about 2 c notes will drastically improve your options.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
1000 bucks...a hsu vtf2 with psb image 1b all around should fit the bill.

go to yawaonline.com get the b stocks.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the Marantz 5200. GREAT receiver, nice warm sound, not digital sounding at all.

Perhaps you should consider spending a bit more? If you budget say around $1200 for speakers only, you can end up with a major step up in performance that will perform for music as well.

You 'might' be dissappointed with the musical performance of the JBLs

I agree, but for the price they are not terrible. Not GREAT, but not terrible. As noted by Eric, these would be better:
Then what will I do for my center channel and rear stage?

I think that I want to go w/ a Shiva for my Sub, I've had good experiences w/ Adire before and I'd like to buy from them again.

I'll e-mail Dan and ask him about the amp/box choice.
What type of amplifier should I use for the JBLs? And a CC and rear fill to go w/ them.

Thanks again,

James Morrison

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks