What's new

New to HDTV, Please help with Sony XBR w/DRC (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
My brother-in-law wants to get a widescreen TV, and is looking to me for info...unfortunately, I know a lot about video, digital video, DVDs, and movies in general...but not too much about high definition widescreen televisions (I don't own one myself yet). So I thought I'd turn to you who know more than I...
Steve (my brother-in-law) is looking at an open floor model of the Sony XBR series (57XBR10W). The price is great, and he is intrigued with the Digital Reality Creation (DRC) feature, so the first question I have is, what the hell is this DRC, and is this what he wants? All he's trying to do is watch anamorphic DVDs in all their splendor with the best possible resolution, so what is the best way for him to do that? Price is and issue...
Does he need the actual High Definition converter to do this (The set is HD ready, but doesn't include the converter)?
What is the coverter actually for? It it just for viewing broadcast television?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...and I'll make sure that one day they write songs about you...
Thanks...
------------------
rfloto1.gif

BrianBHD

Agent
DRC basically takes the standard 480i signal and displays the picture at 480p or 960i depending on which mode you select. It doubles the lines and horizontal resolution so you don't see scan lines.
The TV will display HD 1080i but only with an external set top box and through the component inputs.
If any other signal besides 480i is input to the TV, the DRC is bypassed.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks