New to HDTV - HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeterB, Aug 18, 2001.

1. PeterB

PeterB Agent

Howdy
    Well, I have a few questions, maybe you all can help? I recently got a new HDTV-ready set, the Toshiba TW56H81. Love it, DVD looks great, etc. But I live in LA and figure I can get HDTV. But, I'm totally confused and can't really find any sites to help. So...
    1. I know that DTV isn't the same as HDTV. But, say I buy a HDTV tuner (looking at the Toshiba DTC300 as my likely choice) and buy a cheap OTA antenna. What happens when I watch a digital signal, such as say CBS HD but it is not a 1080i show? Will it be 16x9 in standard definition, or 4:3 pillarboxed? Or will I get nothing at all and have to switch back to the analog station?
    2. If I decide to go with digital cable, which I know is not true HD, will it still be 16x9, or simply 4:3 pillarboxed?
    3. If I go with a satellite set up, like Dish Network, how do I get terrestrial broadcasts? I have an antenna on my roof , but can't get a usable signal even for analog broadcasts. I'm afraid to buy a DTV tuner like the DTC300 and then be stuck with it if i can't get a usable signal from the antenna...
    Anyway, thanks!
    ------------------
    Peter M. Bracke
    [Edited last by PeterB on August 18, 2001 at 10:42 PM]
    [Edited last by PeterB on August 18, 2001 at 10:43 PM]

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

1. Standard definition digital TV will be 4:3, and yes, you will see side bars.
    2. Digital cable is 4:3. This makes it no different from "regular" digital satellite. Satellite is 16:9 only if it's an HDTV broadcast (Dish and DirectTV have two or three HDTV channels). I don't know if any LA area digital cable providers even carry HDTV channels.
    3. DirectTV provides local channels in addition to the satellite channels. It costs extra to get them. I don't know if Dish does the same thing. I much prefer to watch local channels using a good UHF antenna with my RCA DTC100 and recommend you do the same, because doing so will enable you to receive HDTV broadcasts from LA stations, which you could not do if you received them via satellite. KCBS and KCET broadcast the most HDTV. KNBC only shows The Tonight Show in HDTV.
    ------------------

3. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Talking with a Panasonic rep a week or two back, he recommended I check out titantv.com it was a solid site that shows you by zip code what's available in your area with a box.
    Thanks Sears/Samsung/CBS for your HD college football. It's a joint venture.
    Doug

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

With the dish network 6000 HD tuner you now have the ability to stretch DTV 1080i 4.3 upconverts..One of the few stbs that gives you this option.
    ------------------