New to football games.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllanN, Sep 17, 2002.

1. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Im also new to football in general I really did not pay any attention to the sport until the middle of the last season. Then I really started getting into it. I have played a few console football games with friends but sucked ass because I had no idea what I was doing. I was looking at getting Madden 2003 for the PS2 but noticed that Madden 2002 was only $20. Does madden 2003 have any significant changes other than updated stats from 2002? Is it worth the extra money for someone who might not like the game at all? Are there any football games for PS2 that are more for a beginner like me? Thanks in advance. [​IMG]
    Edit: Also what games can be played online? Once I get out of "I suck at this game: Beginner Mode", playing in a league would kick ass.

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Madden is a good choice, and it does support online for PS2. The other big title is Sega Sports' NFL 2K3, and it's actually quite a bit tougher to pick up, especially for new folks. I like 2K3 a bit better, but Madden is the established standard, and for good reason. I'd say go for that.

As far as differences between versions go, if you want to play online you ought to get the latest version. It will be a lot easier to find a game in the '03 version than the '02, I would imagine.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Heck, if you're just looking to practice, you can get Madden 2001 REALLY cheap. Then save up for when you're ready to go online, and pick up 2003. (Does 2002 even support online play?)
    Welcome to the BEST pro sport there is! GO PATS!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

The best way to learn football is to watch it, particularly with friends who played football themselves. Once you pick up the real deal, it's a whole lot easier to understand what's going on in the videogame.

If you're interested in having things explained to you, I'm sure myself and others on this forum are more than glad to help.

5. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

While on Dave's advice I went out and picked up Madden 2003. I though that if I get into football games that I would end up buying either that or the Sega game. This is a new genre of games for me so a 5 day rental might not be long enough for the learning curve. Seeing as Madden 2003 is pretty new I if I did not like it after a month then it was heading to EBay. Im glad I did, it had some good tutorials ("football 101") and playing in EZMode a couple of times helped allot so I was not just getting clobbered. Im going to start a rookie season soon.