New to DVD-A..Will they have digital tracks on them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Meaning will they pass a 5.1 DD signal to your preamp as well as the analog sigal? I saw some DVD-A discs and they say Dolby Digital on them. Do I have to have 5.1 inputs and will it downmix to stereo? Any music to suggest? I have a Technics AC-500D and HK AVP1 preamp. Will my JVC 723 work with these pieces? THanks!

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Most, if not all, DVD-A discs include a DD track, some also have DTS. However these don't sound as good as the DVD-A tracks. The discs I have either have a high-resolution 2-channel track in addition to the multi-channel tracks or can be downmixed to 2-channel. In order to hear the DVD-A tracks, 2-channel or multi-channel, you'll need a player capable of playing DVD-A. You'll also need an analog connection to your receiver. For multi-channel you'll need the 6 RCA cables connected, or you can just do a stereo connection if you want to use the downmixes.
    For music suggestions, check out the Music forum here, there's been a lot of discussion about DVD-A and SACD there lately, as well as more about the hardware.

3. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer