New to DIY Speakers; Any Thoughts/suggestions on this idea?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

All,
    After having a great time making my DIY subwoofer (mostly thanks to the help of Kyle Richardson and all other members of this board) I have been struck with the desire to make some bookshelf speakers as well. Here's my idea:
    The cabinet will be approximately .55cubic feet of internal volume using all Dayton parts. A two way crossover
    with 5.25" woofer
    and 1" titanium dome tweeter.
    My only question at this point is how do you come to the overall impedance of the speaker? Does the crossover look like an 8ohm load to the amp and then just treat each speaker as a seperate entity? Or would having two 8ohm drivers equall a 16ohm load, in which case I would need to look at 4ohm drivers? [​IMG]
    That is the only question that I have. But as I said, I am new to the DIY aspect of things so if I am missing something important PLEASE let me know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Before buying an off the shelf crossover, please read this.
    -Robert

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Robert,
    Thanks, I'm reading through that now. I'm starting to think I may be a bit over my head but at least I'm getting an idea on where to start! [​IMG] Looks like finishing my project will be pushed back a little. I'll assume I can go ahead and build the box for it though, correct?
    Dan Hine

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

If you like the Daytons, try Speakerbuilder . Click on DIY and scroll thru.
    The Rev has been playing with the Daytons for awhile.
    Pete