What's new

New to DIY cables (interconnects and speaker) (1 Viewer)

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Something to consider when using coax to build interconnects is that these will not be a shielded cable when finished. Since the shield is used to carry signal it no longer functions as a shield. This may or may not be a problem in your system, but it is something to consider. I would build just a single pair of analog cables, hook them up and see if they pick up noise. If they sound fine, build up the rest. I built a pair of unshielded, teflon insulated,twisted copper I/Cs that sounded fantastic if a friends system but picked up all kind of noise in mine. I am just glad I did not make up all that I needed(pre/pro to amps) before finding out about the noise.
Also, if you are going to use cross connected coax as speaker cable, you might want to stick with the Belden 89259. The plenum rating is of no importance but the teflon jacket is. Teflon is a much better dielectric than pvc,polyethelene,flamearest ect. The teflon jacket and teflon core, along with bare copper shield and center conductor(no tin or steel please)are what make 89259 desirable for speaker cables. Its also what makes it so expensive.
Jason
------------------

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,
The WBT looks good, but not for $30. If you could get your hands on some pin crimp then the canare will work as solderless. I don't think Canare makes a treaded connector. Try Soldering, it's really not that hard.
Neil,
My last quote was back in Sept 2000, I hope they didn't have a price increase because I'm ready for another order. I'm sorry if the information is not current. Try Chris White's web site: http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm
on DIY cables. He has good vendors there along with great info.
Good luck.
------------------
MikeyTC

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris brought up a good point about making Interconnects using the Coax (like the Belden 1695a I'm looking at). The copper shield is being used as a conductor rather than the shield as it is intended. Does this affect the quality? How about for speaker cable?
Neil

Justin T

Agent
Jason,
What would you recommend in avoiding "noisy" cables? I can buy Monster by the bulk but it's about 3 times the cost per foot than Belden or Canare. Is there a cable available that would be truly sheilded after connectors are crimped/soldered? Also, what is plenum rating and how important is it? Thanks.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand the Plenum rating is given to wires which will be used in walls or under carpets. I believe it is no different with the exception of the material that makes up the sheath.... Something to do with burning toxic fumes...

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Jusitn,
See my ney topic titled DTY Cables. I hit new topic instead of reply. Oops.
Jason
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks