What's new

New to Blu Ray, am I seeing things? (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Nelson, does your screen handle 24-frame playback from your new player? If it does, you may want to try tweaking your Sony from the setup menu for that. It should help reduce the obviousness of what is clearly a visual distraction to your eyes.:emoji_thumbsup:
By the way, welcome to the Hi-def quorum in the Forum!:laugh:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Luke-

I don't know, I don't think so.

The jutter is not a distraction, I was actually quite amused that I could see it happening on the BD disc I was watching! I notice this effect when I see a movie in the theater.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

intersting topic I've seen this flicker on pans at home.

byw Luke, what font is that, it is really super tiny, think you could up it a couple
of notches?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I went into the video controls on the Sony BD player and set output to 1080/24. It was set to automatic before. I don't see any difference in the panning shots during the chess game sequence in From Russia With Love when the camera pans over from the score board to the chess players.

I guess my Pioneer plasma either can't process it, or it's not making any difference, or it's been processing it all along. Though I just realized that the Pioneer is still set to 3:3 pull down, so it could very well be doing the job now and refresh rate is 72 hertz. If I read the specs right, isn't 72 hertz the rate you want for 24 fps?

Now I am wondering about getting one of the new Pioneer 1080p Plasma displays! But from what I have read, my display is quite good for it's time, it's just not full 1080p resolution.

Yes Luke, I agree, we Bay Area guys got to stick together! I'm just right down the road midway to San Jose.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

To be able to play back 24fps with out using some kind of pull down conversion, the monitor has to be able to run at 120hz.

Even then however its unlikely that most people would be able to see the difference. 3:2 pull down really doesn't add that much judder to what already exists in a film shot at 24fps. I think that is one of the reasons that TV makers are adding the "smoothing" features to 120hz TVs, so that people can see some kind of difference in stores. It gives them an excuse to price them as a premium product.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Luke, but the flicker or jitter is not a problem. It's barely noticeable and does give a film like experience.

The additional pixels from a 1080p display would be very cool. Someday perhaps.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Nelson, let me know in a PM if you want to check out my Samsung DLP and Toshiba Regza LCD setups. They're both 1080p and I've both HD-DVD and Blu-ray players hooked up to them. The Samsung's in my living room and is 56", while the Toshiba's 47" is located in my bedroom! My home's in the Miraloma Park/Mount Davidson district in San Francisco. I've got a Panny D10A Blu-ray player & Toshiba A20 HD player hooked up to the Samsung screen and a Sony PS3 and a Samsung dual-format player hooked up to my Toshiba! Yeah, I'm a little nuts when it comes to my Hi-def library!:laugh:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Luke! I'll keep your offer in mind. The bad thing is it might cause me to want to buy a new display!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was looking at WALL-E on one of those new Samsung 46" 950 LCDs and was blown away with the black levels on that set. The set was uncalibrated and in a store display and the picture quality was still eyepopping. Unfortunately, so was 4000 dollar price tag, but if I had had the money to burn I would have been sorely tempted to pick one of those babies up. Would have had to go for the next size up though.....46" is too small.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I thought after 46" you had to go plasma or DLP or Projection? I know there is an 108" LCD, but, do they have larger than 46" in the consumer market? Just wonderin'.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Samsung has a 55" in the 950 series. The price range is 4000 - 5000 U.S. In Canada, I expect that the 55" would be around 5000 or a bit higher.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Loving my 67inch Samsung LED DLP 67A750. Excellent black levels too. Best bang for the buck in size vs cost.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
It's my reason for buying my 56" Samsung as well! I just had both of my screens ISF calibrated by a local member of Best Buy's Geek Squad, too, so the picture on both of them is as good as either one will ever get. I'm thrilled wth the results!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
We're getting off topic a bit. But since I'm the OP, I am okay with it. I never looked at DLP's or LED DLP's. And I had been focused on plasmas and I am even looking at the new Pioneers for fun. The DLP's sure are a lot less costly! How do they compare to plasma? I assume they are getting thinner, but not as thin as flat panels?

I'll look at them the next time I look at the newest Plasmas.

By the way on a side note of further off topic-ness. I watched the Superbit disc of The Fifth Element last night using the Sony's upconvert and I was blown away by how good that looked on my aged plasma. I tried to look for jutter, but didn't see any.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

1080p has exactly the same number of pixels as 1080i, the only difference is one is progressive while the other is interlaced. In fact all flat panel TVs are progressive by nature, and must deinterlace a 1080i image before it can be displayed anyway. If your TV has a good quality deinterlacer, the final image should be identical to a native 1080p.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Douglas, I was referring to my current plasma that has 768 vertical pixels, but accepts 1080i and wondering how a new 1080p looks in comparison. My set still looks quite good though having not seen a 1080p display!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks