What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That forum is unreliable at best. There's always a subsect of people who say "this update bricked my PS3" and of course we have to take them at their word. Ah the protection that the anonymity of the internet provides! ;)

I would trust some of the third party reporting sites (various game mag sites) to call out truly problematic glitches, like they did for that glitchy one a few months back, more than I would trust that forum. Heck, a percentage of those "affected by updates" are probably 360 fanboys who are trying to badmouth the PS3. Just as I'm sure if you go over to a 360 message board you'll find PS3 fanboys doing the same thing.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a member of the forum, (though I suppose we all are technically if we are signed up for PSN) so I just googled something like "PS3 update 2.53" and that came up. It was the official forum so I read what was there. Nothing more to it.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
It´s a bit confusing when it comes to these forums, since there´s "console war" going on (sadly, it´ll quickly ruin every decent discussion) and it´s probably best not to believe everything you read..

There were some issues with firmware v2.40 with CERTAIN people (not with everyone). This was of course, a problem for this certain group of people, no doubt.

PlayStation.Blog Firmware (v.2.40) Walkthrough Part 1: the XMB

After the problem was reported..:
Firmware 2.40 removed from update servers - PS3 Fanboy

Sony acknowledges firmware 2.40 problems - PS3 Fanboy

2.40 bricking caused by 'system administrative data' on hard disk - PS3 Fanboy

"There was a problem which "prevented a limited number of PS3s from activating properly after updating to version 2.40, when certain system administrative data were contained on the HDD."

It was rather quickly pulled and firmware 2.41 arrived instead (which was fine and worked how 2.40 should´ve worked):
PlayStation.Blog PS3 System Software Update (v2.41)

"As many of you know, we released PS3 firmware update v2.40 last week, but had to take it offline temporarily because, for a limited number of users, the XMB wouldn’t display after the update was installed. We’ve been able to fix the problem, and I’m happy to report that firmware update v2.41 will be released shortly."

PS3 firmware 2.41 now available - PS3 Fanboy

Now, this "v.2.40" is the only problem with PS3 firmware updates that I´m aware of. I have downloaded and installed all of them (I have the *first* 60gb PS3-model), and no issues so far.. Perhaps I got a bit lucky with v.2.40, since actually I didn´t notice that when it was first available (and then it was "pulled"). Usually I download/install these updates quite early on (when they arrive).

So: The "problem" was with v2.40, and now it´s v2.60. I´m sure it´s safe to say, that everything is back to normal now (in the world of electronics/software, nothing is 100% certain obviously.. just ask MS.. ;) ).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Totally OT, but PS3-related: is there any good reason why the PS3 couldn't have a nice little internet radio interface?

I suppose the obvious reason is Sony wouldn't make any money on it, but they have the photo viewer things and I wouldn't think a convenient IR front end would be much more difficult...just one little added-value feature now that the PS3 is a somewhat expensive BDP if that's your main intention for it. (I know there are apps in Linux, but on the "Sony" side would be more convenient.)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Yeah I know, not supporting the "other" IR was just stubborness on their part, since it costs "nothing". If the BT was so great for everybody they would choose the BT remote, no need to force it. But as I have often said, I really don't think they intended the PS3 to mainly be a BD player and integrate into HT systems, it just worked out that way (due to the other including Sony's mainly lousy players) at the time. The BT is nice enough though when it's use-appropriate.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There are lots of people who are using Hacked PS3s (firmware hack, and there is also a chip hack) that lets them... do things that were not intended. And yes, there have been reports that after firmware flashes some of them get bricked.

In the end, if you decide to modify your unit, you knew you were taking a chance of this happening. I see the posts on the playstation forum and follow it up on forums about modding, and they always seem to line up.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not about to hack or mod my PS3 for anything. I'd have to be all kinds of dumb-assed to mess around with a $400 piece of technology, which is my favoritest of favorite toys. I'll just wait for a more substantial update, like if they introduce Divx 7 support or something big like that.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Just wanted to bring my older post back "up" and say, that my friend just recently changed 500gb hard drive (Western Digital - Scorpio Blue - 500GB 2.5" Internal SATA) to his PS3. Working just fine. My other friend is about to do the same. Damn, I have "only" 320gb..
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

So with a little additional investment, you don´t really have to worry about space (well, the lack of it) with your PS3 anymore. Recommended.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
PS3 firmware v2.70 now available:

PS3 Firmware (v2.70) Update - PlayStation.Blog

*Text Chat feature - that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you’ll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

*Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)
-Sort your friends via their online status
-Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

*Video delivery service on PlayStation Store
-Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
-Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did my first on-line update the other night (I'd always downloaded from the internet onto a USB flash drive and upgraded from it). Took about the same amount of time regardless of which method employed.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
One of the other things 2.70 fixed was the IMO ridiculous way the PS3 sent out stereo CD music over HDMI as multi-channel PCM instead of as stereo. Haven't checked if it's fixed for other stereo music yet, like MP3/WMA/WAV. If you don't know why this was irritating to many, it won't matter to you
but I appreciate it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
^^If you mean irritating because it meant that there was no way to use any kind of upmix for listening (all channel stereo, pro-logic, Neo:6, or other DSP, etc) then I hear ya.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok well you said,"the internet option" I thought you were referencing
something specific.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Yes, that's what I meant.

I think it was just last week I whinged (elsewhere, where people do such things...) that I couldn't believe that this hadn't been fixed by now. I guess it had a low priority compared to things that make more $$.

The next part to fix is: why do CDs sound so awful over HDMI, and DVD/BD/MP3/etc. sound so decent? It seems to just be Redbook CD sound that is processed in some unique and devastating way. Not that I don't have better CD players to use, but the PS3 should be able to do this so much better that it sticks out to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks