What's new

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available... (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
PS3 firmware 2.20 bringing BD-Live interactive Blu-ray this month - Engadget HD

The Blu-ray 2.0 spec (or BD-Live) is just days from launch. Sony just announced that the next PlayStation3 firmware updated -- v2.20 -- will add the new interactive features to your PS3. As such, PS3 owners should expect downloadable video content, ringtones, interactive movie-based games, and the always intriguing "more" when the software is released in "late March." In other words, in the next 11 days. The update will also allow you to copy photos and music playlists over USB from your PS3 to your PSP. The rest of the new features after the break.

-- "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc
and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been
removed.(*1)
-- "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP
to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
-- PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly
linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's
view speed will be improved.
-- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
-- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the
control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.(*2)

*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

Alas, STILL no DTS-HD MA! :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
While it sucks that we still don't have BD-J or DTS-HD MA decoding, I'm personally really excited about resume play!

You'd think that being a standard feature on most DVD players this would have been in there earlier...but hey, better late than never!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Make sure your router is set to an open network, not shared. That was my problem.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Actually, I believe it's saying that the resume play (still) won't work for titles that use BD-J -- well, I guess maybe it can possibly work for some, but looks like their official word is no support. It's not saying the PS3 (or this update) "don't have BD-J".

_Man_

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator

Well thank you for the reply, but your answer is beyond me, how do I set the router to an open network???

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I have been waiting for the Panasonic BD-50, but since I need a new receiver (with HDMI connections) anyway, I am starting to think that a PS-3 might be the way to go, especially in light of the Profile 2.0 firmware update.

I do have a few questions though. I know the player cannot decode DTS-MA, but can it bitstream it to a receiver that can decode it? Also, are there hex remote codes available so that I can I use my programmable remote (Pronto TSU3000) to control this thing?

Thanks

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Rumor has it that it will eventually decode DTS-MA. The problem with using the PS3 is that it doesn't support IR, only Bluetooth. There is a USB/IR adapter you can get that allows you to use some IR commands with the PS3, but there are no IR power commands, so you will have to manually turn it on (no big deal since you are putting a movie in anyway) and manually power it off (which may not be a big deal if you are taking out the movie). If you get the PS3 search Amazon for the Bluwave remote.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

This is not a huge concern for me, as I plan on getting a receiver capable of decoding all of the formats. So does it at least bitstream DTS-MA?

Also, I think I read somewhere that having the receiver decode the sound is better because it eliminates jitter, which is introduced when passing PCM over HDMI. Is there any truth to that?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

despite the "1.3" HDMI spec, the PS3 doesn't bitstream advanced audio because it's using an earlier step-down version of HDMI 1.3 that's not capable of passing bitstream DTS-HD MA and TrueHD (I know, you'd have thought that "1.3" would be all you had to worry about).

It's quite possible that jitter is reduced by bitstreaming. So far folks with BD players that can both bitstream and extract to PCM over HDMI generally report that the final sound is superior when they bitstream versus run PCM (despite the fact that in theory there should be a bit-for-bit identical result passing to the DAC).

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Ok how do you connect to different browsers, tried Firefox and got nowhere have not tried the other browsers yet a little hint would help, research this thread and just found nothing.

Have the latest upgrade.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

For less than $20 I got an IR remote for my PS3 that comes with an IR receiver module that plugs into one of the front USB ports.

Works perfectly... and basically gives you IR control that you could then use in any way you desire (like programming into another universal remote... just keep the IR module plugged into the front port).

The name of the remote is "Nyko BluWave" Infrared REmote (sku 7 43840 83040 5). It works perfectly.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

correct

Maybe my ears aren't as golden as they once were, but I bet if we had two high quality (including the PS3) HD players, set one up on bitstream and the other on PCM and calibrated the levels so both were equal that someone couldn't identify which was which 9 out of 10 times. If you plan on using the PIP features of some discs, the bitstream won't work, or if it does it will only bitsream DD or DTS core. If you decode in the player then the 2 channel PIP audio will be mixed in to the high res audio (PCM, DTS MA, etc) and output as high res PCM.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Turning it on/off... the IR remote has the "start" button as well which can turn it on/off from the game controller. Let me try later to see if it works with the IR as well.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
RE: PS3 compatibility issues with different (older & new) components:

DaViD,
Noticed on another thread that you mentioned:
Not having shopped recently for a display, is this unusual for a display to need "constant 1080p60" resolution or do you think this is now going to be the norm?

Older components like my Sony Ruby FP seem to handle all the ATSC resolutions but the Blu-ray native 1080p24 codecs (PS3 capable) and I'm hoping the PS3 will also be able to downconvert all lossless Blu-ray 7.1 tracks (including multicannel PCM) via HDMI to 5.1 as my MC12 HD Lexicon was based on a half-decade old platform that could only handle HDMI 5.1.:crazy:

Paul

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

just the opposite: most displays going forward will accept a wide variety of input types.

The JVC projector head was designed as a "dummy display" with all the video processing moved out into a separate box so you could run a single cable to the projector. That box won't accpet a 1080p60 input which is my problem coming from Blu-ray (and feeding it 1080i to convert internally to 1080p lowers quality in this case). And with real 1080p60 I can bypass the processor entirely, but then I can't watch anything that the PS3 won't output in 1080p60.

But I solved the problem (I think) by today getting a Panny BD30, and then I'll use the existing process to upconvert the 1080i from my cable box and everything in my system will be 1080p60 on its way to the projector...

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I don't really understand the question, "connect to different browsers," what exactly do you mean? The PS3's internet browser is called "Netfront," and you can't install other browsers into the XMB AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks