New to Avia setup, need help with sub crossover and gain

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew__H, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Andrew__H

Andrew__H Auditioning

Hi Guys!

I hate to make my first post a large question, but I'm having trouble tuning my system, which consists of:

PSB Image series speakers (older style, not the brand new ones)
    Rotel RSX-1055 receiver
    Rotel 1040 DVD player
    Rotel Line Conditioner
    Velodyne CT100 sub
    TARA labs cabling (going to sell and get Signal Cable soon)

The main problem is there exists a huge hole is sound levels in the 80-100Hz range, the 55-65Hz range, and below 32Hz the Velodyne can't make enough sound to show up on the SPL meter :-/. I set the crossover for the sub to 100Hz, but there is still a nice hole from 80-100. It seems neither the Velodyne nor the PSB's can produce much in that range [​IMG]. I also played with phase, but the Velodyne does not have variable phase, only 0 & 180, and frankly neither seem to sound worse/better during the phase tests.

So, I have a couple questions about the sub:

-Should I upgrade and get an SVS PCi? Are the huge bass holes the fault of the Velodyne?
    -When I set the bass management to match the levels of the sub to the speakers, movies seem less involving - do most of you turn the sub gain up a bit more? I don't listen at reference levels, probably closer to -15dB from reference. I have the output from the Rotel set as low as possible, which I read on here will cut down on distortion
    -The sub is in the back of the room and faces away from the couch (seating position), since there is no place in the front for it. Could the placement be affecting the response? If anything I would think it would sound lower, though maybe not as tight. I could also try placing it by the stairs, or get a down-firing like an SVS to diffuse the bass more. I have pictures of my setup but I can't post them since I'm a noob [​IMG].

Thanks for reading, I hope to contribute to the forum as I learn more!

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Hi there,

Question for you: Are you using BOTH the crossover on the sub itself AND the crossover in your receiver?

That would/could cause a HUGE "hole" in the bass frequencies.

Disable the crossover on the sub and set your receiver's crossover to 80Hz. See what kind of improvement that nets you. [​IMG]

3. Andrew__H

Andrew__H Auditioning

Hey, thanks for the response - I have the crossover setting on the sub set to "direct," so it should not be using the internal x-over at all (but just in case I set it to 100Hz). It's possible the sub just has poor performance, I'm thinking of trying the SVS since it has a 45-day trial period.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The holes 70-100 and 55-65 have nothing to do with the velodyne- thats your room. Can you move the sub to another location ? I think your problem is not so much thes "holes" but rather room peaks around them at 36-50 and 70-78. You are calibrating to these boosted frequencies leaving the spaces between weak. The only solutions are a different location, room treatments, or equalization (search for threads with "BFD" in them). As for as the poor output below 32 Hz, an SVS would take care of that.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yep, most likely your room, this is a common problem to have very poor swings in bass response, that's probably what you are hearing. Try moving around the room and listening to how things change, and also move your sub around to find a better placement for it.