What's new

New to Anime (1 Viewer)

Richard Fuller

Auditioning
Hi there folks I'm kind of new to Anime have been watching the DragonballZ series and think it's great except that it's taking them forever to finish it. Is there another anime similar to Dragonball Z???

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Rich,

If you havent found it already, there is a very decent and informative thread devoted to anime its actually the continuation of a thread that spanned 600+ posts (might have to search for the original thread). In these threads you will gather a decent amount of information to get you going on an anime fest. There are definitly suggestions for you to check out there.

When you say "another Anime Similar to DBZ", do you mean as in Artwork, Storyline, Concept etc??

Good Luck,

Damien

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Given that DBZ is 300 tortourous eps, it does take awhile

for them to use their "actors" to dub it

You will grow out of DBZ soon enough(I hope anyway). Why not try something different?

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
You might want to try Ranma 1/2 (first season box set just came out)

Its a martial arts comedy with less "energy attacks"

its different because the main character changes into a girl when he splashed with cold water and turns back into a guy when is splashed hot water.

Not to mentioned other friends and foes with similar curses

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you start off with some of the better TV anime, like Outlaw Star. Then move onto Cowboy Bebop, which is on Cartoon Network from midnight to 1 AM on thursday and sunday. My favorite anime series (and the one that pulled me fully away from DBZ) is Neon Genesis Evangelion, and is IMO the best anime ever made. Serial Experiments: Lain is also good. Try checking out Akira, Princess Mononoke, and Ghost in the Shell (all 3 are movies).

None of those are like DBZ in any way. Closest thing would be Akira. Then again, DBZ is over 15 years old...

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
If you are into twisted stuff that just doesnt make sense sometimes...Go for Lain: Serial Experiments series. Some of it just makes ya think.....or not want to think. ;)
-Damien

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Lain was so strange and convoluted (in a good way) that I had a tougher time contemplating one episode of Lain than I did contemplating the whole series of Evangelion.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I literally live down the street from the lake, by the little tavern (the Boat House).

We have Home Theater Forum parties in the summer (Scooterpalooza and such). You should come to one.

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
oh you are related to scooter? (not familiar with family relations or who knows who :) )
Ive seen many pictures of Scoots parties..I have been trying to attend for 2 years, but 2000 and 2001 have proved to have the worst timing for family health emergencies. I think all has past though :)
Ill definitly be making it to one sometime soon! :)
-Damien

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not just related, I'm his son! (gasp)

If you look through the pictures, you might see me in one of them. I'm more camera shy than my father, which is why he is in so many pictures and I'm in one, maybe two, per party.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks