New to Anime

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Fuller, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Richard Fuller

Richard Fuller Auditioning

Hi there folks I'm kind of new to Anime have been watching the DragonballZ series and think it's great except that it's taking them forever to finish it. Is there another anime similar to Dragonball Z???

2. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Hey Rich,

If you havent found it already, there is a very decent and informative thread devoted to anime its actually the continuation of a thread that spanned 600+ posts (might have to search for the original thread). In these threads you will gather a decent amount of information to get you going on an anime fest. There are definitly suggestions for you to check out there.

When you say "another Anime Similar to DBZ", do you mean as in Artwork, Storyline, Concept etc??

Good Luck,

Damien

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Given that DBZ is 300 tortourous eps, it does take awhile

for them to use their "actors" to dub it

You will grow out of DBZ soon enough(I hope anyway). Why not try something different?

4. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

You might want to try Ranma 1/2 (first season box set just came out)

Its a martial arts comedy with less "energy attacks"

its different because the main character changes into a girl when he splashed with cold water and turns back into a guy when is splashed hot water.

Not to mentioned other friends and foes with similar curses

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I suggest you start off with some of the better TV anime, like Outlaw Star. Then move onto Cowboy Bebop, which is on Cartoon Network from midnight to 1 AM on thursday and sunday. My favorite anime series (and the one that pulled me fully away from DBZ) is Neon Genesis Evangelion, and is IMO the best anime ever made. Serial Experiments: Lain is also good. Try checking out Akira, Princess Mononoke, and Ghost in the Shell (all 3 are movies).

None of those are like DBZ in any way. Closest thing would be Akira. Then again, DBZ is over 15 years old...

6. Damien Montanile

If you are into twisted stuff that just doesnt make sense sometimes...Go for Lain: Serial Experiments series. Some of it just makes ya think.....or not want to think. [​IMG]
    -Damien

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Lain was so strange and convoluted (in a good way) that I had a tougher time contemplating one episode of Lain than I did contemplating the whole series of Evangelion.

8. Damien Montanile

Ill second that one...

Where abouts in Budd Lake Morgan?

-Damien

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I literally live down the street from the lake, by the little tavern (the Boat House).

We have Home Theater Forum parties in the summer (Scooterpalooza and such). You should come to one.

10. Damien Montanile

oh you are related to scooter? (not familiar with family relations or who knows who [​IMG] )
    Ive seen many pictures of Scoots parties..I have been trying to attend for 2 years, but 2000 and 2001 have proved to have the worst timing for family health emergencies. I think all has past though [​IMG]
    Ill definitly be making it to one sometime soon! [​IMG]
    -Damien

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm not just related, I'm his son! (gasp)

If you look through the pictures, you might see me in one of them. I'm more camera shy than my father, which is why he is in so many pictures and I'm in one, maybe two, per party.