What's new

3D New to 3D (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We have a Vizio 80" M series being delivered next week so I have been going through various 3D topics on a few sites. I already have about 24 movies as I have been buying them the last few years expecting to have a tv at some point. Picked up MIB3 today at BB for $10 after a RZ coupon but I have seen that they are usually closer to 30 bucks. Where are you guys buying these and maybe we should have a good deals on 3D discs topic. Looking forward to watching Life of Pi at home. That one was amazing at the movies

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Be sure to pick up as many of the Imax documentaries as you can.

GregK

Screenwriter
Congratulations on your purchase!

The Vizio is a passive model, so make sure you view at screen level and sit at least (for the 80" model) six feet away from the display for minimal ghosting, due to the FPR 3-D display technology used in the display. When proper viewing is adhered to, the Vizio displays typically have very low ghosting. Better than many of the current active displays.

You had already mentioned the Best Buy Reward Zone coupons. Another time to look for 3-D deals at Best Buy is when their DVD trade in program is active, which can knock $5 off your 3-D bluray purchases.

Aside from opening week deals on new releases, I find a lot of my 3-D blurays at my local Disc Replay stores and can currently find used 3-D blurays there from $16 down to $6. If you don't mind buying used discs for titles already out there, I would highly recommend this as another viable option.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I don't have a 3D display yet, but I always buy 3D releases when available. I had never thought to buy used as I an anal retentive about my stuff. I find that preordering titles gives you a pretty good price, especially since BestBuy and Amazon now price war with each other. The best price I ever got was The Avengers 4-disc set for 15.00. Occasionally, BestBuy or Amazon will have a 3D sale. Also, there's always Black Friday. This is what I have found, but maybe there are more ideas from members.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Check eBay, Fry's, Amazon, Family Home Video and BB. With their $5 DVD trade-in, you can pick up a number of 3D titles from Best Buy for less than $10.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sitting six feet from an 80 inch display is too close IMO. I think 1.2 times the screen size is the closest as that would be eight feet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had forgotten about eBay. I should check there.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I would say that I picked up the majority of my 3D movies from Best Buy for $10 or $15 dollars during their sales even though most of BB's 3D titles are at full retail price. Used and import of region free 3D titles on Amazon is also an option. I'm a cheap bugger so first the 3D movie has to be $20 or less and then it has to be something I really want so I shop the bargain bin for the best titles rather than getting my most desired 3D title at whatever the cheapest price is cheapest at the moment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I highly recommend using using camelcamelcamel.com if you don't already do so. You can track any amazon blu-ray there and set a price point at which you're willing to buy. You will get an email and/or text when it reaches your price point.

I have only paid over $25 for one 3D movie, and that was Avatar. I think I have averaged well under $20 for all the rest.

Toy Story Trilogy in 3D is $67 right now on Amazon. Be aware this is a 3D only set with little or no extras, so if you own the 2D blu's, don't get rid of them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That's a good idea johnny I do use Camel. I saw than price on TV set. It's close but needs to be lower or I need a coupon. If BB had it I could match and use RZ points.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BTW, The Creature from the Black Lagoon is available for $25 (I'm sure it's been cheaper) but can also be had on the Universal Essentials Collection. $83 here is the USofA, but on UK Amazon, it will be much cheaper. That's where I got mine. It's region free.

It wasn't a perfect 3D treatment of the Creature, but it is still in my personal top 3 3D movies.

GregK

Screenwriter
RolandL said:
Sitting six feet from an 80 inch display is too close IMO. I think 1.2 times the screen size is the closest as that would be eight feet.
Yes, I would agree with that, but each viewer's preferences are their own. My six feet figure in relation to an 80" FPR passive was in regards to possible ghosting.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Screen height is also important with passive displays. You will see more ghosting the further you are away from dead centre height-wise. As for discs, I tend to wait for sales (Walmart, of all places, has specials on 3D titles with their seasonal events; it's how I got Dredd for $15 and Prometheus for $20, among others). You'll also find that Universal tends to run 3D promos around the time that they have new 3D family titles in theatres (e.g. The Lorax and Despicable Me were both price dropped when Despicable Me 2 hit theatres). Warner and Paramount have run 3D promos as well at both Walmart and Costco.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If your not in a hurry, wait till the week before black friday. Amazon will have lots of titles for $15....and not just the junk. Easy to follow pricing on bluray.com.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My Den8n should be delivered today.Stopped in Moviestop today and found a b2g1 free used. Their prices are pretty outrageous but I thought Journey 2, Hansel and Gretel and Wreck it Ralph was pretty good for 50 bucks.Also grabbed a Spy Kids movie for ten, I think its the 4th film.And Turtle Tale 2 came in today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Finally had some time to watch a couple of movies last week.

First was the Hobbit. It looked amazing to me and I had a good time watching it.
The 3D wasnt asgood as the imax 3D but that was the high frame rate so thats probably why.

Then watched Star Trek Into Darkness .
I've read a few people say they thought the 3D was underwhelming but I thought it was terrific and added to my enjoyment. Plus I thought it was a very well done remake of ST II.

btw I've been adding to my 3D total by grabbing used movies at MovieStop.
If you have One near you should check into it.

Every tuesday they do b1g1 free.
I bought 6 and it averaged about 16.66 a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks