New Tivo unit slow when changing channels--anyone else experiencing this??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott Stephens, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Just got a Hughes HDVR2, which was an upgrade from a 2 year old basic RCA DirecTV receiver. I'm finding that the channel surfing is markedly slower, as is scrolling through the program guide. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about this?

Also, every time I push a button on the remote, there's an annoying "bip" sound that accompanies it (not from the remote itself, but from the satellite audio). Is there a way to disable this? It's driving me crazy!!

Does anyone else who owns this receiver have any insights or opinions? I'd be interested in hearing them. The fan is kinda annoying as well. I haven't explored the Tivo services yet, so hopefully they will make up for the receiver's shortcomings.

Another question: someone told me that using the optical output for audio will slow down the receiver even more. I'm not sure if I buy this. Is it true? And aside from the occasional HBO movie in 5.1, is there any sonic advantage to using the optical audio output?

Any opinions/responses would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

1) That's Normal, Changing a channel with a PVR is slower because the system has to store a bit of the new show in the hard drive buffer before it is displayed.

2) I'm a replayTV user so I don't know the code for killing the "bip", but I'm pretty sure I've read that you can do that.

3) Go ahead and use the optical audio out ... there's no way that I can think of that the Tivo's performace would be effected by using it. DirecTV audio is already digitized so there isn't even an A-D conversion taking place.

4) The optical audio may or may not sound better, you'll have to give it a try. It probably won't sound worse, though, so you may as well use it, that way you don't have to worry about changing any settings if you do get a movie that's in 5.1.

3. Scott Stephens

I tried to hook up the digital output (also disconnecting the RCA audio cords), but didn't get any sound through "regular", non-digital programming. Is this normal? I figured that all audio would be carried through the digital bitstream regardless on whether or not it is encoded for 5.1. Do I have a defective receiver?

4. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Page 10 of your manual seems to say that digital audio should work for all of your programming ... also a useful side effect for you is that the Tivo "bips" won't be played over digital audio!

I think the problem must be with your reciever setup. Make sure that you have the optical audio input associated with the source mode you have selected on your reciever. There might be a "digital/analog" button on the front of your reciever or you may have to go into a menu and select the correct optical audio input.

5. Scott Stephens

Thanks Adam. I did figure out how to deep six those blips, but I still think something's screwed with the unit I got. (in fact, I've already requested a replacement from the retailer I bought it from)

First of all, like i said before, is the optical output is sketchy. I'm going to try again tonight just to play around with it, but I did make all the necessary switches on both my audio and satellite receivers.

The thing that really gets me is that, through the RCA otuputs, the level of the left front speaker is about half that of the right front speaker. I tried different cables and get the same effect. When I reverse the red and white, the same thing happens with the opposite speaker. So, I'm pretty sure the glitch is in the unit itself.

But aside from that and the slightly annoying fan noise, I'm fairly satisfied with the unit. The menus will take a bit of getting used to, but I think the Tivo features will more than make up for that.

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Your particular unit sounds incredibly screwed up. My folks have exactly the same model and it works great. The optical output works even on local channels on the sat.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Scott, how did you turn off the beeps, I would like to do that as well.

Thanks

8. Scott Stephens

Paul,

I'm at work so I can't give you a step by step. Go to the main menu and if I remember correctly it's in the audio setup menu. It was very difficult to find, though. That instruction manual SUCKS.

If you can't figure it out, post back and I'll send you a step by step when I get home.

BTW, how's the weather in Birmingham (I'm originally from Arkansas)?