New Tivo DVR with current service?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Thi Them, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

My hard drive seems like it's going to die soon. If I buy a new Tivo, will I get to use my current lifetime service on it?

Thanks.

~T

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Only if you bought the lifetime before Jan 20, 2000 or so. Lifetime is not transferrable between boxes, except for users that bought before that date when their policy wasn't worded as clearly. And for new boxes + subs lifetime is no longer offered.

Another exception:
    - between now & January, if you upgrade to their expensive HD series 3, you can transfer lifetime sub for an additional $199.

Since lifetime service is valuable, I would just look into getting new hard drive to keep existing box going.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The drive in my HR10-250 (HD DirecTivo) died and I didn't want deal with DirecTV and have it replaced with a refurb model with a broken HDMI board. I bought a 320GB drive (the original was 250GB) for $99 a copy of InstantCake for $19.95. I was up and running again in a couple of hours.

-Robert

4. Brian^K

Brian^K Supporting Actor

Note that the lifetime transfer offer, to the new Series 3, requires purchase before the end of the year -- you cannot purchase it in January (though you can activate it in January). Also, note that you cannot transfer the lifetime from a DirecTivo to the S3.

5. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Depends. If your failing Tivo was purchased and activated before Jan 2000, then it can be transferred to any new Tivo. Any other Tivo (except DirecTivos) can be transferred to the new Series 3 Tivo up thru the end of the year.

Your other option is to replace your hard drive.