What's new

New Timeless Media & Millcreek Releases (1 Viewer)

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator
You Can Now Find The Episode Release Guide Here:

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/

The message board software is to difficut to contine to update them here. New shows will be add and announce on this thread.

Current Shows:
NEW - 26 Men 1957 - 1959
NEW - Adventures of Hiram Holliday, The 1956 - 1957
NEW - Adventures of Kit Carson, The 1951 - 1955 (under construction)
NEW - Craig Kennedy, Criminologist 1952 (Waiting For Release 1/30/07)
Decoy 1957
NEW - Man Against Crime aka: Follow That Man 1952 - 1953
Michael Shayne 1960 (Not Complete)
Mr. & Mrs. North 1952 - 1954
One Step Beyond 1959 - 1961
Passport To Danger 1954
NEW - Racket Squad 1951 - 1953
Richard Diamond, Private Detective 1957 - 1960
Third Man, The 1959 - 1965
NEW - Topper 1953 - 1955
-------------------------------------------------------------
Original message:

I put these under the same thread since there are too many new releases. Bob H. posted about a few of the timeless releases already but I listed them in case they were missed.

Timeless Media "Classics" Releases (New and Old Listed):
All 10 Episode 2 Disc Sets

26 Men
Adventures of Kit Carson
Annie Oakley
Decoy
Four Star Playhouse
Frontier Doctor
Gangbusters
Judge Roy Bean
Last Of The Mohicans
The MickeyRooney Show
Northwest Passage
One Step Beyond
Passport To Danger
Racket Squad
The Range Rider
Sergeant Preston Of The Yukon
"Shotgun" Slade
The Third Man
U.S. Marshal

Millcreek Entertainment:
Beyond Reality (1991) - The First Season
Bounty Hunters - The First Season
The Very Best of One Step Beyond (50 episodes listed on site.)

Has anyone order the timeless 2 Disc sets? I'd be interested in the quality of these PD releases. One Step Beyond collectors might want to cross check the episode list to see if there is anything new.

Brian

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Brian, the Timeless sets are probably the usual Public Domain releases. The Timeless Sergeant Preston has a beautiful cover, but complete Seasons 1 and 2 of Sergeant Preston have been released in excellent licensed editions by Critics Choice with Season 3 promised soon.

Timeless has a licensed edition of 'The Lawless Years' that was nice but sepia toned. They also put out syndicated cut "best prints available" Season 1 & 2 sets of 'Branded' and the 'Guns of Will Sonnett'. S2 of 'Branded' had an excellent extra: 60 minutes of writer Larry Cohen talking about his TV career. Cohen created Branded, The Invaders, and The Legend Of Custer.

I would recomend the Millcreek complete series sets of 'The Buccaneers' and 'Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes'. The quality was good and the prices were right.

It's quite a chore to find out how many individual episodes of an individual series are out there with all the public domain companies. I read somewhere that the Alpha Annie Oakley's do not repeat the episodes on the VCI set.

Does anyone know if the "Adventures Of Robin Hood" discs from Alpha, Critic's Choice, and Timeless have the original theme music on them?

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

I did. I have the 12 DVD Alpha OSB Box, The 2 DVD VCI set. If the episodes are listed correctly on the MC set, we will be only getting a few new episodes between the 3 sets...new on the Millcreek set:

Who Are You?
The Visitor
The Storm
Justice

I'm not sure what other missing episodes are out there amongst the massive PD dollar DVDS!

oh yea, the VCI set has much better picture quality than the Alpha 12 DVD set if that's saying anything! They all are under par as far as I'm concerned. It's highly unlikely the MC will be any better. Sad.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Brian, I've done a couple of Amazon reviews on two of the Timeless 2-DVD sets; see . . .

U.S. Marshal: http://www.amazon.com/Us-Marshal/dp/...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

The Third Man: http://www.amazon.com/Third-Man-Mich...951322-9488018

The above two series are fairly rare to see and probably won't ever get an official release, so I'm willing to give Timeless a little slack. But, as Bob Gu has pointed out, why bother with Timeless' "Sergeant Preston" release when you can get the official release through Critic's Choice, unless you want just a sampling of a few episodes? And a number of the Timeless titles have had episodes released by Alpha Video (www.oldies.com). Again, as Bob correctly points out, sorting out which companies have released which episodes is a real chore. For example, Timeless' release of the Beverly Garland police series "Decoy" has fully 5 episodes that are available on other releases (and 5 episodes that are not), and most of the episodes on Timeless' release of "Northwest Passage" are also on Alpha's two DVDs. But, ultimately, a number of these releases do have value, as they may very likely be the only way that you'll ever see some of these series on DVD.

I also have to agree with Bob's assessment of Mill Creek's "The Buccaneers" and "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." I also reviewed these at Amazon.

The Buccaneers: http://www.amazon.com/Buccaneers-Com...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Sherlock Holmes: http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holme...951322-9488018

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I might be tempted by several of those Timeless releases. Always tend to like "US Marshall;" I'll need to check the titles and see how much (if any) duplication there is with the 8 episodes Platinum put out. The "Decoy" volume sounds intriguing as well. I'm guessing the "Mickey Rooney Show" is that "Hey Mulligan" thing. Hadn't seen that pop up in the dvd world yet. Might be interesting to see some of those again, out of curiosity.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bert, there's only one episode (the Charles Bronson "Pursuit" episode) that's duplicated on both the Platinum and Timeless releases of "U.S. Marshal." "The Mickey Rooney Show" is indeed "Hey Mulligan" . . . first time, I believe, that this has appeared on DVD. As I previously mentioned, Timeless' "Decoy" release has 5 unduplicated episodes on it and 5 that have previously appeared on other discs from the likes of Alpha, Critics Choice and the Canadian Cascadia Entertainment.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Great news that the "US Marshal" episodes are basically not duplicates. I'll certainly grab this volume. At very least, the series gives me the needed 'fix' until some hopeful day in the future when "Highway Patrol" makes it to dvd. Not holding my breath on that, though.

Also plan to order the "Decoy" volume. Five 'new' episodes is better than nothing. With its single season, this series would make such a killer dvd-set were it ever 'officially' released. Have a shot of pert Beverly Garland in her 50s policewoman uniform on the cover, and who could resist it? But like other Official Films properties, I have no idea who would own the series (and the prints) nowadays.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Bert, Liberation Entertainment has worldwide TV and DVD rights according to their web site but, if episodes are in the public domain, really anyone can release them. Liberation would, of course, have access to the best film elements which the public domain releasing companies don't.

Link: http://www.libent.com/index.php?id=50,340,0,0,1,0

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for answering my questions. There are a number of sets I will pick up in the future. I'm currently way behind in my viewing of shows, so it will be a little while before I get them. Wish DDD would start carrying them.

The Third Man and Mickey Rooney Show will be first on my list. I have the CC Third Man release. Rough greenish prints with a lot of lines running throughout the prints. Show seemed pretty good and I'd like to view more episodes. I've never seen the Rooney show so that will be a treat.

Re: The Lawless Years:
I cannot believe that they didn't take the time to color correct the show. Something so simple you can do it in Imovie! That had to really hurt the sales for a series that would have low sales to begin with. As I'm going though it currently the writing and acting it quite good. With a custom setting on my tv, it's a simple one button setup for the correct picture setting. To bad it wasn't done right.

re: The Buccaneers and Sherlock Holmes:
I have both. Prints on Sherlock are from 16mm but are good for the most part. Although some do have slight tints.

Haven't viewed The Buccaneers yet. Did a quick check and the prints are very good for a pd release. Great value for the price. Currently $5.98 at Deep Discount DVD.

Re: Decoy:
Bob H. I checked out your link to Liberation Entertainment. Their film clip from Decoy looked good and clean. They must have access to good prints. I wonder what they charge for disribution of some one season shows. Funny no small distibutors picked up any of the short live series they have on their sites. Some I've never even heard of.

Brian

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Hey, Brian . . . excellent recap of the available "Decoy" episodes . . . you got 'em all, except for one. The episode "Shadow of Van Gogh" also appears on a dollar DVD from Digiview Entertainment titled "Suspense," a collection of crime shows, etc.

As Bert Greene suggests, this would be a great single season release. Beverly Garland is still very much around and it would be wonderful to have her do some interviews and/or episode commentaries. I fear it's a very long shot, however.

Stunt Coordinator
>>Hey, Brian . . . excellent recap of the available "Decoy" episodes . . . >>you got 'em all, except for one. The episode "Shadow of Van Gogh" also >>appears on a dollar DVD from Digiview Entertainment titled "Suspense," >>a collection of crime shows, etc.

Hi Bob,

I thought I'd do some tables of the short series available. Longer series with only a few episodes released will have released episodes only listed. They will start appearing in this thread. When done the title on the thread will change to something more appropriate. I hope people will find it useful in navigating the pd and small label releases.

I'd buy decoy in a minute but with over half the series already out on PD disc, I don't know that a company would take a chance. Good release for CC to do. There are also two more episodes not on dvd that were released on VHS.

Brian
PS I missed the digiveiw disc and it's sitting right next to me on the shelf!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Brian, my thanks too for the Decoy table and any others you plan to post. It's appreciated. If this is any help for your tables, maybe you know this already, oldies.com lists the individual episodes on each of the Alpha TV Discs.

Re: THE LAWLESS YEARS: They sepia toned RIN TIN TIN too, in the 70's or 80's. Nutty idea.

Bob Hug, thanks for the music/credits info on the Critic's Choice and Alpha ADVENTURES Of ROBIN HOOD DVDs. I had assumed that the theme song and credits were missing like they were on the Timeless VHS set. I was still curious about it,even though I bought the 4 seasons of Robin Hood in the licenced R2 releases from Network, for around $117.00 including shipping and the foreign transaction fee on the credit card. Alpha has fifteen Robin Hood, four episode DVDs out. If they release the whole series it would take 36 DVDs at $5.00 each = $180. Either way, well worth it, for an entertaining true classic like The Adventures Of Robin Hood.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

These public domain releases are like the proverbial "chicken or the egg." On the one hand, sometimes they are the only way that you can see some of these "lost" shows. On the other hand, sometimes they "kill" the chance for an official release. On another thread a while back, there was some discussion that the various public domain releases of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet" have made an official release of that series highly unlikely. Still, I'd rather see at least some episodes of these series released, than none at all, but I'd certainly support official "upgraded" releases and have done so in the past with shows like "The Andy Griffith Show," and CC's "Sergeant Preston" and "Dangerous Assignment."

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Brian, really great work on the OSB listing . . . there are a few episodes there of which I was not aware . . . this is the most comprehensive listing of OSB episodes on DVD that I've seen to date. Unfortunately, this is one series with entirely too much duplication of its public domain episodes. I have the Delta set and the VCI set, but won't get Mill Creek's set . . . just too much duplication to get a handful of previously unreleased (on DVD) episodes. Interesting that two episodes, "Emergency Only" and "The Justice Tree" are only available via "dollar DVDs." Kudos to you for such a comprehensive listing. There's one additional DVD release of OSB of which I'm aware and that is a 2-disc, 6-episode release from Nostalgia Ventures, but I don't believe that it adds any episodes to your listing.

Link: http://www.nostalgiaventures.com/mai...2_content.html

You're right about "Midnight" not being an OSB episode; it's definitely an episode of "Stars Over Hollywood." Somehow, possibly as part of a syndication package, an OSB title card was slapped on this episode. The real clue that this is not an OSB episode is the fact that John Newland is nowhere to be found in the episode. On the plus side, it's probably the only episode of SOH that's available on DVD, albeit with an incorrect show title.

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0709447/

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Wow, great work, Brian! Hope you don't mind if I print it out and use it as reference. I have to admit the various "One Step Beyond" releases have been a bit dizzying, and resulted in me taking a powder on the prospect of even trying to collect all the available episodes. Anyway, regarding "Decoy," do we know that ALL of the episodes are necessarily p.d.?

As for all those 50s 'filmed' anthology series, they also seem to be dizzying in their own right. Owing to the fact that so many of them seemed to be syndicated in confusing, generic titles (things like "Award Theater"), I've never really gotten a mental handle on them. I like anthology tv-series, and I've often been quite impressed with some of those old examples I've seen. But, good grief, trying to tell them apart, and figuring which ones had the best quality... hard to figure. "Four Star Playhouse," "Studio 57," "Stars Over Hollywood," "Fireside Theater," "The Star and the Story," "G.E. Theater," "Pepsi-Cola Playhouse," "My Favorite Story," and all the rest. It would be nice to see tv-dvd start to make inroads into such things, but I'm guessing this sort of material probably represents the lowest priority for the various dvd-releasing outfits. The only example I recall even being run on television in recent years was that "Alcoa/Goodyear Theater," under some sort of "Golden Age of TV" title, on A&E, quite a few years back. A few episodes were quite interesting, but there was also a fair share of bland ones too (including a lot of somewhat lame unsold pilots).

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
I've tried to make a printout, but I cannot get the full document...the right side is cut off no matter what size, etc I set? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Bert, a quick (and not exhaustive) check at the U.S. Copyright Office shows the following episodes to be under copyright:

ITEM 31. PA-275-382: Decoy : no. 14, Bullet of hate / a Pyramid production ; producer, Arthur Singer ; directed by Teddy Sills. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 32. PA-275-385: Decoy : no. 15, Death watch / a Pyramid production ; producer, Arthur Singer ; directed by Stuart Rosenberg. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 33. PA-275-387: Decoy : episode title, Dressed for the kill / a Pyramid production ; producer, Arthur Singer ; directed by Stuart Rosenberg. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 34. PA-275-393: Decoy : no. 13, My brother's killer / a Pyramid production ; producer, Arthur Singer ; directed by Stuart Rosenberg. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 35. PA-275-396: Decoy : no. 16, Odds against the jockey / a Pyramid production ; producer, Arthur Singer ; directed by Teddy Sills. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 36. PA-275-399: Decoy : no. 12, Queen of Diamonds / a Pyramid production ; directed by Teddy Sills. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 37. PA-275-400: Decoy : episode title, The Red clown / a Pyramid production ; directed by Teddy Sills. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc.

ITEM 38. PA-275-401: Decoy : no. 10, Scapegoat / a Pyramid production ; directed by Teddy Sills. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., & acOfficial Films, Inc.

ITEM 39. PA-275-410: Decoy : no. 11, Two days to kill / a Pyramid production ; directed by Stuart Rosenberg. [Claimant:] acPyramid Productions, Inc., and acOfficial Films, Inc.

It's possible that other episodes may still be under copyright, but I found these nine episodes by simply typing in "Decoy" in the search. In any event, it seems clear that the ONLY way that we'll see the full series is for Liberation Entertainment to strike a deal with a DVD releasing company. Otherwise, the PD episodes are all that we're ever going to see of this series. Incidentally, it looks like Cascadia Entertainment mistakenly released a copyrighted episode, "Bullet of Hate."

Stunt Coordinator
--There's one additional DVD release of OSB of which
--I'm aware and that is a 2-disc, 6-episode release from
-- Nostalgia Ventures, but I don't believe that it adds any
-- episodes to your listing.

Hi Bob H, Never heard of this company. I'll add it into the table.

--Hope you don't mind if I print it out and use it as
--reference.

Hi Bert. Print away. Happy people found it useful

-- As for all those 50s 'filmed' anthology series, they
-- also seem to be dizzying in their own right. Owing to
-- the fact that so many of them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks