New Time Warner HD Cable box.. Some difficulties..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by davepr, Dec 9, 2001.

1. davepr

davepr Stunt Coordinator

Picked up and installed a Time Warner HD Scientific Atlanta converter yesterday connecting it to my Hitachi 43UWX10B. I connected it three ways.. Component, Svideo and RF. I have a digital coax connection to my 50ES receiver from the converter.

In my area, we have PBS which includes a HD loop, the ABC, CBS, NBC and fox affiliates, HBO and Showtime HD channels on the cable. I actually don't subscribe to HBO or Showtime but they were live yesterday. The 1080i HD signals a absolutley as clear, sharp and rich as expected. However there are a couple of issues:

Dolby 5.1: When a HD movie or show start on either ABC, HBO or showtime, the Sony receiver the AC3 (5.1) kicks in but I am only getting the rear channels. The receiver is set on 'auto format detect' I have to turn the sound field off which collapses everything to the main front channels to get dialog. Strange... Anyone know what this is???

Black bars: When looking at non-HD through the component inputs feeding a 1080i signal my Hitachi does not alow any of the stretch modes. The converter always converts to 1080i. For non HD programing it adds the vertical black bars for the 4:3 format. It is hard to believe that Scientific Atlantic does not understand that black bars can cause burn in. For non-HD programing I will have to use one of my other inputs.

Dave

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If the 5.1 is only coming out the rear channels, then that sounds like an issue with your cable company. I can't even imagine how a receiver could screw up like that.

3. davepr

davepr Stunt Coordinator

I feel really dumb. The audio problem was mine.. It was the center speaker only, due to a loose wire.. My face is red...

Dave