What's new

NEW TIME LIFE Release: I Got You Babe: The Best Of The Sonny & Cher (Includes some Cher Shows too!) (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So did "Remembering You" make the cut?

I'll check. I haven't really started going through the set yet. I'm in the middle of Space: 1999, but I'll take a quick look and let you know.

Just checked and yes, Remembering You is there and intact where it should be.

Last edited:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Yes, I know that music rights is a big issue for variety shows & that's why you don't see them on retro TV networks very often. That's why I'm surprised that my TVLand DVDs of Sonny & Cher includes pretty much all (if not all) musical numbers.

It is my understanding that the music rights issue affects DVD and other media pressings (since they were non-existent at the time), not over the air presentations and syndication. Which is why the TVLand presentations would be more complete with edits occurring for time, not content.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'll check. I haven't really started going through the set yet. I'm in the middle of Space: 1999, but I'll take a quick look and let you know.

Just checked and yes, Remembering You is there and intact where it should be.

Thanks for the info!

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
It is my understanding that the music rights issue affects DVD and other media pressings (since they were non-existent at the time), not over the air presentations and syndication. Which is why the TVLand presentations would be more complete with edits occurring for time, not content.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why because we were watching the episode with Tony Curtis & Dinah Shore (Time Life version) tonight & Dinah's solo is included but when Sonny & Cher do their duet, the portion when Dinah comes in & sings is cut but is on TVLand version. Also seems odd that they will show 1 of their duet songs on Time Life but cut the 2nd one. I know The Carol Burnett Show now has complete & uncut episodes on Time Life so I hope they will be able to do that with S & C Comedy Hour & S & C Show down the road. The TVLand episodes have about 52/54 minutes for the most part but I would like to see all the closings in full when they thank their guests, banter a little, then sing "I Got You Babe". On a few, they just say good night & walk off stage.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
A big part of the music rights issue has to do with publishing rights costs, which is a whole separate thing from royalties due to the performers -- although they have to pay for that too.

So did "Remembering You" make the cut?

Is "Remembering You" a solo that Cher sung? If it's from the S & C Comedy Hour or S & C Show, it was cut because no Cher solo is on the Time Life DVDs. If it's from Cher, I didn't watch those. I think Cher has done great songs, acting, etc. over the years but when I've watched a few scenes from her CBS show, in the past, it seemed awkward to me. I think the chemistry Sonny & Cher had with each is what made their shows so funny.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
No, "Remembering You" is Carroll O'Connor's solo spot in the 1/10/72 episode. This is the vocal version of the ending theme to All In The Family. The TV Land version that I have had the song missing but it was on YouTube so I did manage to put it back into the correct episode in the correct place.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
Is "Remembering You" a solo that Cher sung? If it's from the S & C Comedy Hour or S & C Show, it was cut because no Cher solo is on the Time Life DVDs. If it's from Cher, I didn't watch those. I think Cher has done great songs, acting, etc. over the years but when I've watched a few scenes from her CBS show, in the past, it seemed awkward to me. I think the chemistry Sonny & Cher had with each is what made their shows so funny.

I see it has already been answered. I should have known what "Remembering You" song was. As stated it is on the Time Life version & also at the end when he sings it with Sonny & Cher.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
TV Land aired 65 episodes complete and uncut so you're best bet is to just stick with your recordings from there rather than anything else.

By the way, I don't know where someone is getting 55 minutes from. Even in the dawn of television, no hour show ran that long. For CBS in the early 70s, you're probably looking at a running time of 50-51 minutes.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
TV Land aired 65 episodes complete and uncut so you're best bet is to just stick with your recordings from there rather than anything else.

By the way, I don't know where someone is getting 55 minutes from. Even in the dawn of television, no hour show ran that long. For CBS in the early 70s, you're probably looking at a running time of 50-51 minutes.

Actually, TV shows in the 1960's did run about 55/56 minutes. On YT, there's a full length 1966 episode of Hollywood Palace with Sonny & Cher (Milton Berle is host) with original ads (some still b&w, even though show is in color) & the ads total about 4 minutes. Back then a lot of shows had sponsors that helped with the production cost. This episode is sponsored by "your local electric company" & they had pretty much the 1st 30 minutes & then a couple 30 second ads for products like Prell Shampoo or Ultra Brite. The shows would start at top of the hour, about 15 minutes later you have a couple of 30 second or so ads, bottom of the hour the same as at :45 of hour. Then 1 or 2 minutes of ads before next show. It's great to see so much on YT because you do forget how different TV was back then compared to today. I do have some S&C episodes in my collection that are 53 minutes or so but the opening telling guest stars might be omitted or closing a little shorter, so I'm guessing that it might be around 54 minutes or so.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
I notice on both my earlier DVD and Time Life DVD, that the Carroll O'Connor episode has 1 of 3 Vamp skits omitted. They show the characters when they all come out in front of the piano at end. Wonder if that part of tape got damaged or what the reason is for the deletion. I would like to see that complete vamp skit some day.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay

Some of my TVLand episodes that I bought from the 70 set DVD have some omitted but overall mostly intact. I'll see a skit on YT once in awhile but when I watch my DVD, that scene is omitted.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Some of my TVLand episodes that I bought from the 70 set DVD have some omitted but overall mostly intact. I'll see a skit on YT once in awhile but when I watch my DVD, that scene is omitted.

When was there a 70 episode DVD of the show released?

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay

Not sure who did it or how long ago, but I've seen it on ebay, Amazon, sell.com & ioffer. I got my through The Film Collectors Society of America..www.thefilmcsa.com. Their website shows what is on all the discs. It's a total of 67 Comedy Hour/S & C Show plus The Cher Show & The Sonny & Cher Nitty Gritty Hour special, among other things. They are mostly (if not all) from TVLand airing in the 1990's & the hour version. Some of the stuff is omitted for TVLand's ad time but has more scenes than the 2 different Official sets that I have of the same episode. All the music seems to be in each episode. We were watching one today with Tony Randall & it had 51 minutes actual show time but the end of thanking guests, banter, & singing "I Got You Babe" was omitted (probably 2/3 minutes) & they just say their goodnight & walk off stage (which some episodes of official sets do that too). Some have TVLand ads while others are ad free. Each episode is usually about 50/51 minutes of show. A few are closer to 45 minutes & I have some that are 53 minutes. I assume it was VHS tapes transferred to DVD.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Not sure who did it or how long ago, but I've seen it on ebay, Amazon, sell.com & ioffer. I got my through The Film Collectors Society of America..www.thefilmcsa.com. Their website shows what is on all the discs. It's a total of 67 Comedy Hour/S & C Show plus The Cher Show & The Sonny & Cher Nitty Gritty Hour special, among other things. They are mostly (if not all) from TVLand airing in the 1990's & the hour version. Some of the stuff is omitted for TVLand's ad time but has more scenes than the 2 different Official sets that I have of the same episode. All the music seems to be in each episode. We were watching one today with Tony Randall & it had 51 minutes actual show time but the end of thanking guests, banter, & singing "I Got You Babe" was omitted (probably 2/3 minutes) & they just say their goodnight & walk off stage (which some episodes of official sets do that too). Some have TVLand ads while others are ad free. Each episode is usually about 50/51 minutes of show. A few are closer to 45 minutes & I have some that are 53 minutes. I assume it was VHS tapes transferred to DVD.

Sorry to say JayP.....but that is not an "official release" of the show. That would be considered a bootleg of the show. The only official release of the "Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour / Sonny and Cher Show" are two that were released:

1.) "The Sonny & Cher Ultimate Collection" - Released in 2003 by R2 Entertainment / Paul Brownstein Production. Contains 9 episodes - 6 shows from "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" and 3 shows from "The Sonny & Cher Show".

2.) "The Sonny & Cher Christmas Collection" - Released in 2004 by R2 Entertainment / Paul Brownstein Production. Contains 3 episodes. 2 shows from "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" and 1 show from "The Sonny & Cher Show".

I believe both releases had very little edits (I know for sure the Christmas release had a couple of edits)....but these are the only "Official" releases of "The Sonny & Cher" variety shows. The DVDs you bought I believe is a bootleg copy that usually do sell on ebay or ioffers.....especially when they were taped from TVLand. The only other "official" release now is the one just released by Time Life featuring 18 episodes (10 shows of "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour", 5 episodes of the "Cher (solo) Show", and 3 episodes of "The Sonny & Cher Show"). And from what I am reading (from this post) the Time Life release has a substantial amount of edits (and that's unfortunate).

ALSO NOTE: The new Time Life release does not contain any repeated shows from the prior 2 releases. All the episodes on the Time Life release are new to DVD. :)

Last edited:

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
Sorry to say JayP.....but that is not an "official release" of the show. That would be considered a bootleg of the show. The only official release of the "Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour / Sonny and Cher Show" are two that were released:

1.) "The Sonny & Cher Ultimate Collection" - Released in 2003 by R2 Entertainment / Paul Brownstein Production. Contains 9 episodes - 6 shows from "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" and 3 shows from "The Sonny & Cher Show".

2.) "The Sonny & Cher Christmas Collection" - Released in 2004 by R2 Entertainment / Paul Brownstein Production. Contains 3 episodes. 2 shows from "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" and 1 show from "The Sonny & Cher Show".

I believe both releases had very little edits (I know for sure the Christmas release had a couple of edits)....but these are the only "Official" releases of "The Sonny & Cher" variety shows. The DVDs you bought I believe is a bootleg copy that usually do sell on ebay or ioffers.....especially when they were taped from TVLand. The only other "official" release now is the one just released by Time Life featuring 18 episodes (10 shows of "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour", 5 episodes of the "Cher (solo) Show", and 3 episodes of "The Sonny & Cher Show"). And from what I am reading (from this post) the Time Life release has a substantial amount of edits (and that's unfortunate).

ALSO NOTE: The new Time Life release does not contain any repeated shows from the prior 2 releases. All the episodes on the Time Life release are new to DVD. :)

If you reread my post, you'll see that I didn't refer the 70 DVD set as an official release but they are available on various websites like the one I purchased mine. This set is pretty common on actual "for sale" websites that have nothing to do with ebay, ioffer, etc. When I was referring to comparisons, I wasn't comparing the Time Life verses the Ultimate Collection by R2 (I have the 2 you mention above & Time Life) but comparing the official to the 70 DVD set.

Also, there are quite a bit edits to all 3 official releases. I'm talking strictly about the Comedy Hour & S & C Show. The new Time Life has no Cher solos, several of their duets have 1 of 2 songs cut out & all the songs done on both episodes of The Sonny & Cher Years by various Rock N Roll guests stars during the "duet" part of those 2 episodes are deleted. I timed just the first two episodes & they were each 45 minutes long of about 52/54 minutes of original programming in the 1970's.

The Christmas shows are greatly edited. I know one is only about 37 minutes long from what would have been about 52/54 minutes of programming in the 1970's. The other 2 were about 45 minutes.

As for other edits of the Ultimate Collection, I'll give one of several examples because I know my responses are long. The episode with The Jackson 5 & Ronald Reagan has a 12 minute operetta skit omitted from original programming.

It would be great if there is an official release in the not too distant future of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour & The Sonny & Cher Show that is complete & uncut. Also, I would like to see episodes that haven't been shown in many years made available.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It would be great if there is an official release in the not too distant future of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour & The Sonny & Cher Show that is complete & uncut. Also, I would like to see episodes that haven't been shown in many years made available.

That's never going to happen. As for the TV Land airings, if you were that big of a fan of the show, you would have recorded them yourself instead of relying on the shoddy put together bootlegs, which we shouldn't be discussing here to begin with.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
That's never going to happen. As for the TV Land airings, if you were that big of a fan of the show, you would have recorded them yourself instead of relying on the shoddy put together bootlegs, which we shouldn't be discussing here to begin with.

Didn't realize I was a fan until about 8 months ago when I saw a YT video of them & watched it to see if I thought it was as funny as I did when I was a kid when we watched it as a family. I did & it brought back fun memories of my parents when they were alive. As for recording it myself, as a quad for the last 36 years, it's kind of hard for me to record anything without two good hands to work with. I hope you take your own advice about this discussion & won't have to hear anymore about what you think of how big of a fan I am.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Not everyone had cable TV, and some people didn't have VCR's. Not everyone was like you and recorded a gazillion shows. My parents had satellite in that era and TV Land was not an offering. The guy is new, so cut him some slack. People's tastes change over the years as to what they're interested in. I'm listening right now to Big Band era music, something I wouldn't have dreamed of 20 years ago. Maybe you don't mean to nasty, but you come across that way.

Edited: I have the flu, so it got edited to be a little nicer.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well an unfortunate aspect of life is that opportunities are presented and opportunities are taken away. I'm sorry now that I didn't record Name of the Game, which ran every Sunday night on WCBS. Now putting together a full run of the show is virtually impossible. I'm sure that there were people who may have recorded the whole series in the early 80s when it was running but good luck finding them. Most of the hobbyists from that era are either not alive any longer or out of the hobby. But you can't show up at a game or a concert 3/4 of the way through and then complain about what you missed.

JayP.

Grip
Real Name
Jay
Well an unfortunate aspect of life is that opportunities are presented and opportunities are taken away. I'm sorry now that I didn't record Name of the Game, which ran every Sunday night on WCBS. Now putting together a full run of the show is virtually impossible. I'm sure that there were people who may have recorded the whole series in the early 80s when it was running but good luck finding them. Most of the hobbyists from that era are either not alive any longer or out of the hobby. But you can't show up at a game or a concert 3/4 of the way through and then complain about what you missed.

So true. I probably wouldn't use the taping of a TV show as an analogy of life's trials, but this is a TV/movie forum....so I get it. Adversity in one's life not only causes one to adjust to situations but it also builds character & tolerance of others. Unfortunately, social media can play a negative role in a person's opinion about another without even knowing that person & what they care or don't care about. Hopefully, things will change for the better & we become a more tolerant society. Now that we've each given a little of our life philosophy, let's use the forum for its intended purpose: the entertainment industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks