1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New thoughts on upgrading my receiver--down to Onkyo or Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bruce White, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

Doing some further research on receivers, I believe I have narrowed it down to either the Onkyo TX-NR717 or the Denon AVR-2113ci. I've found some good deals on the latter to make it price competitive with the Onkyo. A similar thread asked about these two back in December, and the suggestions mostly favored the Denon. Given my equipment below, do I go with the Denon? I like it's Airplay capability and the fact it uses MultiEQ XT for speaker optimization. Current equipment: Samsung BD-D5500 Samsung PN59D7000FF Apple TV Direct TV HD-DVR HR23-700 Speakers: Paradigm speakers all around--PSB-12 for sub, CC-370 for center, Mini monitors front and rear Additional hookups--TrendNet wireless media bridge, Xbox 360 (newer model), Wii. Thanks! Bruce

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Depends if you want to give up the 11 speaker terminals and the pre-outs for Airplay and XT. They both have a digital USB and once you use it(if your Itunes is in FLAC), you'll never use the Airplay anyway.

3. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

Sam, Thanks again for your input. My current setup is 5.1. I doubt I will even add another pair of speakers in my current house. It looks like the Denon has 7 speaker terminals, so even if I add two more, I'm covered. I did some searching on pre-outs and am still unclear as to what I would use them for. I think in one of your posts (not necessarily on any of my threads), you used the word "pre-pro", which I take means pre-processing or pre-processor. I'm not even sure what that means. Also, I didn't understand about my iTunes being in FLAC. What is FLAC and why does that make a difference relative to Airplay. In general, what do you think of the Denon? You seem to have strong views that generally favor Onkyo. Thanks! Bruce

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I favor Onkyo/Integra over Denon/Marantz...yes. Why? Onkyo offers the most features for the price...even at MSRP. Which you aren't going to pay MSRP with Onkyo. If Onkyo's "customer service worries you"...buy an Integra. Denon, and not all of their fault, is behind the 8-ball. Still recovering from the earthquake/tsunami. Onkyo has been feasting on market share. That leaves Denon, Pioneer/Elite and Yamaha to punt and play for margins. As they all keep playing for margins...Onkyo chews up more market share. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless If your iTunes is lossy, be prepared to be underwhelmed. If FLAC, you'll notice a big difference bypassing the "Apple crappy DAC" (the craptitude of Ipod/Ipad DAC is legendary). The USB in the Denon and Onkyo bypass it.

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Bruce: Last year I up-downgraded from a VERY expensive Denon receiver to the Onkyo 818. I did so primarily because I'm an audio hobbyist and I hadn't "hobbied" for awhile and just wanted to play around with a change in my audio system. I had always been curious about the sound profiles of Onkyo receivers and, during an online price war, I was able to pick up a "like new" 818 from Amazon's Warehouse Deals for $617 (!). It's been lots o' fun, and a remarkably successful change. The Onkyo has a more analytical, less warm sound profile than the Denon but I find myself really enjoying it. Plus its HDMI 1.4 support allows me to route to my 3D projector through the receiver (whereas the Denon only had HDMI 1.3 support.) Finally, although my personal jury is still out on the overall effectiveness of Audyssey, the 818 has Audyssey XT32 (which is somewhat more capable than the lower-level Audyssey implementation on the Onkyo 717 that you're considering.) In short, if you can get lucky like me and find a price-competitive offer on the Onkyo 818, I think you'd be advised to go for that unit rather than the 717 -- unless you ultimately find yourself preferring the warmer, more expansive audio quality of Denon receivers.