What's new

New Theater (1 Viewer)

Jerry N

Auditioning
I'm building a new home with a deicated theater.I was looking at the Yamaha Rx-Z1 receiver, would this be a good choice.

Thanks,
Jerry

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Jerry
What is your budget for getting a receiver and have you thought about going pre/pro? If you can afford it you may want to concider the Denon 5803 or the Pioneer Elite 49TX. But to answer your question for the money IMHO, yes the Yamaha RX-Z1 is a very nice choice :) . IMHO the Yamaha has a very nice balance between music and HT. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V995 reciever that I will upgrade to a Denon AVR-5803 sometime next year. I will just end up using the 995 in my bedroom as my second HT system. Let us know how everything goes.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Jerry,

Dedicated theater eh? Lucky Guy you are?

To effectively answer your question you need to provide some more info:

1) How big is the room?
2) What speakers are you considering
3) What is your budget
4) What is your HT/Music ration (60/40, 70/30, etc)
5) What do you expect sonically?
6) How loud do you want it to play?
7) Are you thinking 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1?
8) Are there any particular processes that you "have to have" such as Logic-7, or DPL II?

Now we can help.

John

Jerry N

Auditioning
Thanks for replying.
Room: 13.5 x 25.0
Speakers: Paradigm Studio100,Studio/ADP for side & rear,Velodyne 12"HGS-12 1250watts power sub.
Budget:$2500.00-$3500.00 for amp.Total budget 20,000
Loudnest: Med to Loud
Not sure about processes.I have one chance to do this right and don't want to blow it.Also any other info would be helpful.I'm new at this.

Thanks a Bunch,

Jerry

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If you're looking around spend around $2500-$3500, I wouldn't go with one receiver. You could go with something like Sony STR-DA4ES or the upcoming(or could be out) Denon AVR-3803 as a pre/pro. Not sure about the price on the Denon but I've seen the Sony for around $700-$750 shipped online and I don't think the Denon will be far off. For amplification I would go with 2 Parasound HCA-855A's. You can easily find two for under $900 shipped on ebay(an absolute steal).
That would be 85Wx10, you could bi-amp your mains and center so they'd get 170w each and the 4 other channels could go to your sides and rears. You'd come in under budget and you could get a remote like the flagship receivers come with. My suggestion would be the Philips Pronto TSU-2000. I don't remember the site but I just saw it for $199. Maybe it was ecost.com. Oh yeah, you could still buy interconnects and stay under your alloted budget.
IMO, I don't see a reason to ever go with a flagship receiver, but that's just me.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks