New theater with nice budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VictorA, Dec 27, 2002.

1. VictorA

VictorA Auditioning

I am constructing a new home with a dedicated HT room.
    I have 10 grand in my budget and need help spending it.
    The room is 21X13ft with 10 ft.ceilings.
    My requirements;(the 10g's is for the equipment only)

Front projection and screen. Size will be:
    Diagonal 8.6 to 10.5 ft.
    Height 4.2 to 5.2 ft.
    Width 7.5 to 9.2 ft. (13ft viewer to screen distance)
    THX 7.1 System for movies and music. (if possible)
    Universal disc player DVD,SACD,DVD-Audio, etc.
    Universal remote.

I have done alot of reading at this point and have some ideas, but I would like some other ideas as well. I hope I have provided enough info. Basically I have a blank canvus and 10,000 for electronics. Thank you in advance. Vic

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

That's a lot of moolah. Ok I'll give it a shot.

For universal players I would look at the Pioneer Elite 45 or 47. Read up on the reviews and see which one is for you.

Speakers - can't emphasize going out and listening for yourself enough. Don't take other people's word for it. What sounds good to one person may sound like crap to another. Go in with a budget in mind and don't let them try and sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

You also have to decide whether or not you want a receiver or seperates. So many choices here that you'd have to tell us if you want video switching, etc. Also, don't let THX be a deal breaker for you. There are MANY other options out there that will be better than a THX certified receiver. It's nice perk, but don't let it be the heart of your choice. I also strongly recommend listening to them before buying.

Can't help you with the screen and projector.

For a universal remote you may want to look into a Pronto.

Finally, you may want to look into spending some money on bass traps and other sound enhancing materials for your room if you can. Post up in the DIY forums for advice. Good luck. You can get a lot for $10,000, but the number one priority should be your enjoyment.

3. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

DLP projector and screen (approx $5,000)
    Receiver (Denon, Marantz/ HK, Onkyo) $1250
    DVD player w/ progressive scan $250
    Speakers $3500

I would personally go with Atlantic Technology (either 370 or 470/450)- These are THE best speakers for the money in a dedicated theater. Obviously my opinion...but I have heard more than a few dedicated theaters in real people's homes containing (all different theaters)-JM Lab, Genesis, Atlantic Technology, JBL professional (the real JBL not the stuff you buy in CC), Monitor Audio, McIntosh THX, Krell, and Wilson. Atlantic Technology was one of the best that I heard. It was powered by parasound seperates (not my favorite choice) and sounded nice! The JBL professional rocked my world!!! BUT my friends' father paid a lot for the system and it could not do music. He had 2 of the big subs plus the EQ and the amps. The JM Lab and Monitor setups were OK- nothing special in my mind. The Genesis was too bright for my tastes. The McIntosh and Krell were nice but not enough bang for the buck in my opinion. THE BEST WAS THE WILSON!!!!!! He used Watt puppies for the rear (not sure what was up front, but bigger than puppies) with two REL subs. Electronics were Theta preamp/ processor, Classe amps, Theta DVD transport. This system ROCKED!!!!! I could almost FEEL the leaves move in the wind in Legends of the Fall (not a particularly good demo disc but it sounded amazing). Anyway...I rambled on here- good luck with your decision. Let me know if you would like me to clarify anything.

4. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

Am am lookýng for the same, and after much much readýng and comparýng I came to the followýng system:
    Receýver: Sony STR-VA555ES (drývýng fronts, center, surrounds, sub on sub-pre-out)
    Power-Amplýfýer: Rotel RB-1050 (drývýng leftand rýght surround-back) hooked to the Sony výa Surround-back left amd rýght pre-out.
    Speakers: Front 2 B&W DM-603S3, center B&W LCR-60S3, Surrounds 2 B&W DM-601S3, Surround Back 2 B&W DM-601S3 and the Sub*woofer B&W ASW-650.
    DVD-Player: Denon 2800MKII (Progressýve Scan ýn NTSC and PAL)
    Projector: Runco CRT projector, ýe. theIDP850 or IDP900 whých can be bought second hand for around $3500US to $5000US.

Belgarath

5. VictorA

VictorA Auditioning

Excellent suggestions all, but remember the room is only 273 sq.ft., or 2730 cu.ft. I dont want to over power. (if there is such a thing.) Allan, thanks for the suggestion of the Pioneer Elite. I have heard many great thing of the Elite line. Integra just came out with the DPS8.3. Plays everything and is THX Ultra certified for about $1200 retail. Speaking of money, I have heard the term "Retail prices" and "Street prices". Where does one get top grade equipment for less? Are dealers willing to negotiate?

Josh thanks I will look into the Atlantic Tech's. How do the Paradigm or the Definitive Techs' compare? I have had my eye on either of these systems.

Belgarath, Thanks. Are you sure all that can be had for 10 grand, including cables?

Anyone else? Vic

6. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

The definitive technology speakers "color" the sound. not to my liking, I might add. Whenever something "colors" sound, it means that product does not accurately reproduce the intended sound from the source material. Some people look for products that color sound because the accurate source material sound is not to their liking. I actually like a warmer sound (highs not so bright). The highs over a little bit of time when harsh tend to give me a headache. The definitive speakers are not bright per say, but they don't sound "right" to me when listening to music (which I do approx 20% of the time). The paradigm's are nice speakers...a little bright for my tastes- I also found that they didn't "fill" the room with sound. Completely different speaker than the def tech. All three (def tech, paradigm, & Atlantic tech) have different sounds. Try them out and decide what is best for your ears. One suggestion...it is difficult for one to compare speaker systems in different rooms on movie material. Bring 5 of your favorite CD's with you (different types of music which are recorded weel) to determine what kind of sound the speaker is putting out. I like to bring along Natalie Merchant (good for determining mids- her voice WILL tell the speakers story), Sting (well produced/ good highs and lows), Eric Clapton 24 nights (something I listen to a lot), Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff- the one with summertime on it (for bass), and Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (plenty of everything on this one). I will usually bring along one or two others- just depends on what mood I am in. Good luck- this is the fun part!

7. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

This kind of question is gonna have all kind of answers, here my take.

Projector/Screen: Sanyo plv-z1 and Dalite Cosmo Screen $2200, or you can jump to sony HS-10 to make the total $3100.

pre/pro: outlaw 950/770 $2200

Speaker: You have to listen for yourself, mine are kef Q series, you can also try Paradigm, NHT, Def Tech. PSB or others.

Since you are building a room, I would strongly suggest to find some good cables, and don't be stingy on that, because once you bury them behind the wall, they are the most difficualt one to upgrade, Good brands are better cable, AR and the rest

Enjoy!

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Are we planning to focus on amplification requirements here? Otherwise, this thread might belong in the DYI section. Thanks!

9. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

Victor,

What is your priority? Do you want a stunning picture and can settle for Ok to good sound, or is sound the priority and a decent picture is all you need? Do you want it to sound good with music as well as movies? Do you want REALLY DEEP BASS? What are your tastes in music and movies?

As you probably know, it is possible to spend more than $10K on a single component (especially projectors), so this is going to be an exercise in intelligent trade-offs, and your desires will determine which trade-offs to make.

Peter