New Theater starting in a few weeks... advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Derek Ja, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Derek Ja

Derek Ja Auditioning

Hi. I have been lurking here for a few months and the time has finally come... We are going to start our basement/HT build on April 17! The HT space is about 13x24x8. I plan on building a platform for second row of seating and a front, sand-filled stage, for speakers and sub. I am going to use a white wall for a screen until I fine-tune everything and then will be building a black-out fabric DIY.
    The issue that I am having is how to pre-wire for the projector. Barring any issues with supply or reviews on the InFocus 4805, it looks like that is the projector I will be going with. I am going to run a 3" PVC from the equipment closet to projector for cables. I am just not sure where to put the conduit and outlet for the projector. I have spent a good deal of time playing with the projector/screen size calculators on the InFocus website, and another I found on a link in one of the threads here. Sorry, if I am not crediting who made it, the link is on my home computer and I am currently at work.
    Can anyone give me an idea of how to figure this out accurately? The screen will be approx. 96" diagonal, 16x9 aspect ratio. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Not sure I understand your question, but to get 96" wide screen with an Infocus 4805 you'll need to mount the projector somewhere between 15.1 and 18.1 feet from the screen. (Or did you mean 96" diagonal?)

Here's the calculator with 4805 stats:
    http://www.infocus.com/service/softw...&itemId=sp4805

Since you'll be using black out cloth, how wide (tall) is the cloth? It usually is 54", so that may limit you to a little less than 96" wide since you need an inch or two for mounting.

For what it's worth, my room has very similar dimensions and I'm working on a similar set up. (Bought the cloth, waiting for the 4805, etc...)

3. Derek Ja

Derek Ja Auditioning

Yeah...from the calculators I found a range that it would fall in. My question is where in that range should I put the outlet and conduit? It would seem that it is going to project a specific size, based on a specific distance from the screen. Or is there a little bit of zoom capability in the projector which accounts for the range listed? This is the biggest thing I am really having trouble with.

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Oh, gotcha. It does have a zoom lens that accounts for the range in sizes from a specified distance.

I think I'd go with whereever it will work best within your target range. To be on the safe side, you may want to consider getting an x1 for a 10 day trial. It is supposed to have the same throw ratio.

You've got 3 feet to work with. Guess I'd try to decide where in that range the projector will least interfere with viewing. (Noise, extra light, etc.)

5. Derek Ja

Derek Ja Auditioning

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.