New Theater - Simple, but effective speaker wiring???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Zemens, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Dave Zemens

Dave Zemens Auditioning

Dec 28, 2001
    I am completing an addition to my home which includes a new family room / home theater combination. To avoid the unsightly speaker wires, I would like to run the wires into and through the walls, terminating at the receiver location and at each speaker location.

Can someone suggest a simple way to do this? I don't want to just have a hole drilled in the wall with a wire entering or exiting. Rather, I would like to know what kind of jack/plug? I can use at the wall to accept the wire from the nearby speaker? Then, the wire can run from the wall jack back to the next jack, which is near the receiver.

Also, I would like a suggestion on in wall surround speakers (which ones work well and HOW TO HARD WIRE them in a neat fashion)

Thanks for the help.

Dave Zemens

Rochester, Michigan
  2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Auditioning

Nov 25, 2001
    You can get wall jacks at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Radio Shack. For speakers, I recommend either banana jacks or binding posts. Get the gold ones, of course. Installation is similar to installing an electrical outlet.

I've never used in-wall speakers, so perhaps someone else could address that one.