What's new

New Theater Project Just starting (1 Viewer)

Laverda

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
My old roomy and I built a theater way back, back when satellite dishes were large enough to house a small family. I’m doing it again but things have changed… so some help will likely be needed.
I’m finishing off my basement and in part of the main room will have a theater set up. This isn’t a dedicated room but rather a dedicated side of the room. Good light control, plenty of space. I’m planning on a front projection configuration with around a 120” screen. Heres a list of the components I’m considering. Comments good or bad are welcome!

Epson Cinema 800 projector
Carada Criterion 126” screen
Yamaha RXV 1600 receiver
Klipsch RC62 center
Klipsch RVX 54 Fronts
Klipsch DT5800C rears (I need these speakers out of the way due to multi use of the room)
Klipsch RW12D Sub

Some kind of power conditioning but the model hasn’t been chosen. Battery backup for the projector too.

I haven’t chosen a DVD player yet and would love some input on that. I’m not thinking of Hi def or Blu ray yet, I’ll wait until one of the formats wins the war. I do want it to be HDMI compatible.

I've been looking at the gear at my local Ultimate Electronics as they are pretty much the only game in town. Any suggestions on good on-line retailers for any of this stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input, I’m sure I’ll be posting a few questions along the way!

Ed

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ed. Welcome to HTF!

We try to NOT make electronics recomendations here in the basics area, but since you already put out the models, I'd say it sounds like respected equipment. The one thing I might suggest is a different sub. Home Theater is about IMPACT and a better sub usually makes a dramatic improvement. I'd check out SVS woofers (a favorite around here and I have one :) ), or HSU was internet-only but you can now demo them at a local CompUSA.

Your other problem is not a DVD player - but a source for HDTV. You might want to look at your local Cable company to see if they have PVR's with DVI, or HDMI or HDMI 1.3 output. Then make sure that Epson is compatible.

In general for HD-DVD or BlueRay - you will need HDMI input for the copy protection.

Since you are buying a system, you can try to get up to about a 15% discount from Ultimate Electronics, or a discount on installation or some wires & cables for free. While I dont have a problem with internet-orders, that much new equipment is a little scarry. I'd rather have a single retailor to back up the equipment.

Also - "DIY Network" has a 5-part video show on home theater. I watched it and learned a few things about dedicated or partially-dedicated rooms. Check your program guide for re-runs.

This link shows you some of the programs:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ct..._37056,00.html

Hope this helps.

Laverda

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed
Thanks Bob,
On the HDTV, I do get it via my cable company and they do supply HDMI compatible boxes. You think the 12" sub isnt enough? That would have been plenty for my old stereo! :) but your right, its all about the punch so I'll check out SVS.

Ed

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've just never been totally impressed with Klipsch subs. I had one for a while and returned it. I have dual 500Watt subs in my DefTech towers and they are both disabled in favor of a single SVS 25-39 in the corner. It always impresses people: http://www.svsound.com/

The owners of SVS (Tom and Ron) used to help people design & build subwoofers and they finally caved and started building and selling their own lines. They used to hang out here in the Speakers and Subwoofers fourm and would give honest opinions about their subs and the competitors. After reading their praise for some HSU subs and some Velodynes, I decided I liked the integrity I was seeing and bought SVS. I have never regretted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks