What's new

New Theater Pics (1 Viewer)

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Well, after lurking on these boards for over a year now, I finally was able to put some of the great ideas I've learned to use. I got the keys to my new house in July and have been working on my HT nearly every day since then.

The HT is located in the "bonus" room. Since I was there since the beginning of construction, I was able to do lots of cool stuff [mounting the subs in the ceiling, run all the cabling my self, insulate the interior walls myself] that I wouldn't have been able to do if this wasn't a brand new house.

My room is kind of small for a HT [12.5' x 16'], but it will just be enough to work. It is on the second floor of my house, so I have nice access to the cables from the attic.

Anyway, take a look. My room has even advanced since these were taken, so I will post updates as I get more pictures.

http://photos.yahoo.com/astura000

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Looks good, Conrad!

Those subs sure look menacing looming overhead like that. What kind are they?

Keep us posted on your progress.

Conrad Ebel

Agent
They are Adire Tempest 15" drivers. I had to build custom boxes that would fit between the rafters like that. The ceiling is painted black now, so they don't stand out as much anymore, you can sure feel them though! I got a pair of Apex Sr plate amps to power them from apexjr.com. I mounted the plate amps in the wall by my EQ rack.

More updated pics on the way...

Conrad Ebel

Agent

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Heh... not quite and IB, the subs are in sealed boxs. Check the pics again. The first album has a few pics of the sub boxes being mounted.

And, yes, I like my bass. But my neighbor doesn't...

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Last night I did some touching up on the painting. I also installed the bass shakers in the couches and dragged them upstairs. I still need to get an amp and wire in the bass shakers though. I have wiring going through the riser over to the equipment rack, so it will be easy to do, I just need to do it.

Besides the amp and wiring, I'll need to scotch gard the couches and do a bit more touch up on the paint [and install a light switch cover :)]. After that, the construction is pretty much complete.

I do have some plans for expansion [some sort of DVD storage, probably a single room A/C unit, and a solid core door], but my daughter is due anytime in the next few weeks, so I need to find a good "stopping place" for now. This will probably be it for a while.

I'll need to think about what I would have done differently [or am glad I did] and make my post on that thread. I sure did get some good advice from it, so I feel I should make my contribution as well.

The walls are much darker than they look in the pics. They look blue in the pics; they must be washed out by the flash. The couches and walls do match much better than it looks. No, I'm not totally color blind. :)

Anyway, here are some pics of the setup...

walkway to back row

installed couches

installed couches

walking into room

back row

front wall from back row

front wall and equipment rack

Yes, I will clean up those cables. ;)

Thanks again for all the advice/input/ideas that people have had on these forums.

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Yes, I made sure to sink some screws through the sheetrock into the boxes before they did the mudding/texturing on the ceiling. The sheetrock does fine, not even any rattling! I also used silicone to seal the sheetrock in between the box and the ceiling so no air flows from the attic to the room.

I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
Looks awesome. I was curious as to what projector you are using.It looks like an InFocus ScreenPlay, maybe the 4805? Just wondering. Keep up the good work

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Yes, it's a SP4805. It's a great projector for the $, and has amazing picture quality with DVD. It was a tough choice for me, but my wife and I demoed the SP4805 at a local B&M store and we both really liked it. I really considered a LCD PJ, but I, personally, need great contrast to really enjoy a movie [I want black blacks, not green/grey blacks]. So I sacrificed some resolution for contrast. It will be 95% DVD watching on this setup anyway [higher resolution than the SP4805 would be wasted with DVD], so the SP4805 is perfect.

I will probably consider LCD for my next projector, as they get better contrast. With better contrast and high resolution, they are going to be tough to beat [HD DVDs will be out by then anyway, so I will have an excuse to upgrade!]. The SP4805 will work for the next few years though. :)

BTW, the SP4805 looks amazing with HDTV as well, even though it is scaling the image down a bit. My OTA HD receiver will only get light work [mostly just Monday Night Football].

I made the mount for it with pipe fittings and plexi-glass. It was even level on the first try! No adjustments needed. I'm pretty releaved actually. I was a bit nervous about how that was going to turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks