New Theater Construction

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey All

Thought I would post the progress of my new theater construction. It's basically done from the builder's perspective - I'll finish the rest. Will start on that in the fall. Click here for pics.

I had planned on calling the the theater The Metropolis (reference to the song by Dream Theater, not the city where Superman lives, nor an homage to Fritz Lang's classic) but I don't think I'll be able to place a sign. Maybe vertically on the side of the entrance. I'll wait and see.

--Jay

PS. If anyone knows how I can modify the automated web templates in Photoshop so that the captions aren't truncated I'm all ears.

2. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

It looks really nice. I like the layout of the web page. I hope you will let us know when there are more updates.

3. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Very Nice!

Glad to see you got your light control issue resolved.

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Looking really good, Jay! Out of curiosity, what did you use to fill the floorspace?

-greg

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I meant how did you fill the space underneath the structured floor in the theater? (To prevent sound from travelling through the space.)

-greg

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

8. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey Chris

Yep - there's plenty of room under the crawlspace for plywood install, bodies, bags of money. [​IMG]

And yes this is a brand new house. Started with dirt. I'm itching terribly to get it complete. Once we settle in after the move I'll get to work on the riser, stage, and a casual viewing counter behind the riser. Took my cue from a theater featured in the April 2003 issue of Audio/Video Interiors.

For the website itself that's courtesy of Adobe Photoshop's automated web gallery function. You tell it where you pictures are, where the site files are to go, what style you want (they have a number of presets in v7.0), and options re: banner text and captions, etc. Click OK and it does the rest. Then you just copy the files to your server. Very cool. The opening "Metropolis" page I did myself in Photoshop and then link to the stuff created automatically. The only other change is I replaced the original graphic to the right of "Jay's Theater Progress" to the film reel (more Photoshop required). What I can't figure out is why my longer captions get truncated. For any file you can input a caption that is stored as a metafile. But somewhere in the Photoshop templates they only allow for 253 characters to display (I did a count in Word). I can't find the code to change it. That's why some of the captions are chopped - not because I fell asleep at the wheel.

10. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Good suggestion, Mike. But with the Photoshop automation I think I have to redo everything if I'm adding photos. Happens in the background anyway while I do other things so no big deal. That would overwrite any changes in the manner you propse. I'm sure there's a simple line of code in the Adobe template that I can simply change - some sort of character limit like in a database field. That or it's a function of the size of a window or something.