New the the forum, need reciever suggestions.

Mr Tibbs

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey
Hello all!! I'm new to the forum here and semi new to HT. This looks like the place to be concerning HT!

A little background: I am 29 yrs old and currently living in an apartment with my girlfriend. I currently own an older Onkyo HT system that I pruchased from CC years ago. Also with the audio system I have an older Sony DVD player (with a built in DTS decoder) and a 32" sony TV. I am really into car audio, but now that it looks like I might be settling down I'm gearing up to build my own HT system.

The questions I have deal with audio only for now. As of now I am more than happy with the video side of things. My tv looks great (to me anyways) and I am more than happy with the dvd player. Also, just for giggles I have a modded xbox that is hooked up to the Onkyo reciever and sounds pretty good.

Anyone have any suggestions for a reciever? I'm about 90% positive I want a 5.1 reciever. As of now I just see no reason to go to 6.1 or even 7.1. Is this an ignorant way of thinking? I would use the reciever for about 70% movies and 30% music. I don't need a really fancy, top of the line, all the bells and whistles model. I would be more than happy with a slightly used older model with some nice features that I would actually use. I'm more after a great sounding reciever than the top of the line model with stuff I will just never use. So, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to be a part of this forum for a long time. I think I'll start reading everything I can here and see what I can learn. There seems to be a lot of useful info here!!

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

If you go with 6.1 0r 7.1 you can still use 5.1. i was in the same boat, wanted an upgrade from my Onkyo focus on sound. i bought a 7.1 but i will never use it because i don't have the space for speaker layout. i was looking at older Denon, B&k, Nad, 2-5 years old. go on ebay and look for the flagship receivers from these manuf that are 2-5 years old, then look at there review rating on audio review or similar. Denon 5800 is a good model so is the B&K AVR 307 OR 202. hope this helps in some way, good luck!~

Mr Tibbs

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey

Around $400. Maybe more depending on time, I probobly won't buy for a little while.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I'd buy the receiver that has the features you want in that price range. IMO most receivers in that range will sound and perform similarly. I like Yamaha and Denon. It'll be hard to find a boutique brand like Rotel in that range.

Mr Tibbs

Auditioning
Real Name
Casey
A lot of people are pointing me in the direction of the Onkyo TX-SR674 or the TX-SR604. Any one have any opinions on these recievers?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punitatbsabo