What's new

New "The Shining" DVD (abc mini-series) (1 Viewer)

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
I guess there is a dvd being readied for this ABC mini-series from a couple years back...I have good information that Stephen King himself is recording a new commentary for an upcoming edition, interesting news to say the least...was anybody else a fan of this one???

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I am not a fan of this tv version, but I would actually like to hear King's commentary to hear what if anything he says about Kubrick's film.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I really enjoyed the mini, and have been waiting for the DVD. But, where are you getting your information? The "I guess" almost sounds like wishful thinking. Please ease my mind. :)

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fortunate enough to work at the radio station he owns and we are helping out with the recording of it next week!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll ask around and see what I can find out...

- Steve

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

This is good news indeed. I can't wait to retire my VHS tapes! I love the mini series (actually, a discussion about the absence of a DVD version has just recently resurfaced on this forum) and it's great to hear Stephen is doing a commentary. His previous ones have been great. I guess it's still a while until it'll be released (obviously), but great to know something is in the works.

Thanks for the info.

Chris

I can't wait to see this on disc. I hope somebody puts IT out on DVD at some point too.

Matty - I hope you don't catch grief for "leaking" this! I also hope that, if the commentary is being recorded at WZON, that they have better soundproofing than they did years ago. When recording the audiobook versions of (at least) his first two Dark Tower books, King did it at ZON. When you listen to the tapes, from time to time you can hear trucks rumbling by on Broadway.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Well we wont hear about what King thinks about Kubrick's version - one of the stipulations of King getting the rights back was that he is not allowed to publicly comment on Kubrick's version

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I am excited about this one. I thought that Kubricks version sucked! The mini-series actually kept close to the book. I will most definately pick this one up!

Lafe F

Second Unit
This news is too good! This would be the premiere of The Shining miniseries onto home video in North America. My PAL Malaysian VCD just doesn't cut it. Yahoo!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Cool, I too enjoyed the miniseries. The 1st 2 nites were great. The 3rd, well.... kinda fell apart. That ending, with Jack's ghost... What the ..?!?!?!?!?
And MAN, that kid was just AWFUL!!!!!!!!! Wincingly awful. Danny Lloyd from kubrick's was SO much better! Now if we can just digitally insert him in... :)
Interesting too, how the mini-series was shot in a REAL hotel in Colorado,(The ACTUAL one king stayed at where he wrote about 1/2 the book..!) but somehow LOOKED like a set and Kubrick's version WAS shot on a set but looks REAL. Weird, eh..?
The hotel in the mini-series just didn't look as creepy.
:) D

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Well we wont hear about what King thinks about Kubrick's version - one of the stipulations of King getting the rights back was that he is not allowed to publicly comment on Kubrick's version
I hadn't heard that before. As a major fan of Kubrick's work, I know he was very particular about things but never heard that he took control over what people could say about his work AFTER the fact...

I love Kubrick's film of The Shining, but would find it very interesting to hear from King's mouth exactly what his problem was with it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Kubrick was great at making settings look authentic. Eyes Wide Shut was shot entirely in the UK, yet looked just like New York, right down to the Chevy Caprice taxis.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I've never seen the mini series, but I have wanted to for a very long time. I'll be picking this one up.

>>Kubrick was great at making settings look authentic. Eyes Wide Shut was shot entirely in the UK, yet looked just like New York, right down to the Chevy Caprice taxis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks