New "The Parent Trap" (1998) DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by cafink, Aug 26, 2002.

1. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I've always been a big fan of Disney's 1998 remake of "The Parent Trap," and one of my biggest DVD disappoinments is the mediocre treatment the film got when it was released on disc. A non-anamorphic transfer, and no supplemental material besides a trailer, while the laserdisc version included a commentary track, deleted scene, and screen test.

Naturally, it's long been a wish of mine that Disney would revisit the film in a nice Special Edition. I've heard no word of it, but while at Best Buy yesterday, I noticed that the DVD they had there differed from mine — there was no large (UGLY) purple "widescreen" banner across the front of the box (Disney stopped using them some time ago, though they still grace the spine of some discs). Looking at the back of the box, it apparently contains a 1.66:1 ANAMORPHIC transfer (I think the old version was framed at 1.85:1 or so) — but still, no special features were listed besides the trailer.

When did this new disc come out? How does the transfer compare to that on the old disc? Is there anything else new on the disc? Why the heck would Disney RErelease a movie on DVD and STILL leave it barebones when the supplemental material ALREADY EXISTS?

Does it contain "forced trailers" before the feature? (I've always been thankful that the original DVD release occurred before Disney started this practice) Also, the old disc had a minor glitch with some players where the sound would drop out for a few seconds towards the beginning of the movie, right at the start of Chapter 2. Am I to assume that any such issues have been worked out?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Its new coverart not a new disc.

Just like Judge Dredd & The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

Not only that...some of these new covers have misinformation.

The Parent Trap(1998) is "flat" 1.85:1 not 1.66:1.

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle is also "flat" 1.85:1 not "scope" 2.35:1.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment has been releasing older titles with new coverart to remove the "widescreen" banner. Just as MGM Home Entertainment redid the covers for When Harry Met Sally & The Thomas Crown Affair(1999).

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I really like the movie too. I didn't realize that the laserdisc had the extra stuff. Maybe I should look for it.

By the way, how would anamorphic 1.66 work? As Yosemite Sam said, "It just don't add up."

//Ken

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

It's one of my dreams to see it re-issued in anamoprhic with the LD supplements. Knowing Disney now, a Re-issue could happen, but it'd be full frame or something. Ugh... I have the LD (and the current DVD too) and the LDs extras were just great.

Dan

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I would buy an anamorphic re-release in an instant.

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"It's one of my dreams to see it re-issued in anamoprhic with the LD supplements."
    Truer words have never been spoken, and Dan knows that I agree with him on this subject. [​IMG]
    This is a wonderful, HAPPY film that has been roughly presented on DVD. That situation needs to be averted (but I do have the laserdisc, as well). [​IMG]
    Jason

8. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I don't even have a laserdisc player. [​IMG]

9. Derek P

Derek P Stunt Coordinator

any word on a rerelease or price drop

10. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I haven't heard anything, but I'm happy to report that in the year since I originally posted this, I've aquired both a laserdisc player and THE PARENT TRAP on laserdisc.

One interesting thing I noticed… The trailer for THE PARENT TRAP contains a brief snippet from a scene that isn't in the movie ("Star light, star bright…"). I had always assumed that this was the deleted scene from the laserdisc, but it turns out that the laserdisc contains another scene entirely ("Halley meets the Queen").

Anyway, the laserdisc rocks hard and while it'd be cool to have a nice anamorphic, supplement-laden DVD, I'm quite happy now with my laserdisc, so much so that there's a reasonable chance I wouldn't even bother with the DVD were one released.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Never saw this film but nice to hear it's worth viewing.
    Hopefully Disney will eventually grace us with a 16x9 OAR version (in which case I might buy it) with suppliments that at least meet the content of the Laserdisc.
    -dave [​IMG]

12. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Lindsay Lohan, the young girl who starred in the remake of Parent Trap, will soon be starring in another remake of an old Disney film, Freaky Friday. (She's 17 now!) It doesn't come out for several more weeks, but I caught an early press screening and it's every bit as enchanting as The Parent Trap. Perhaps if it does well, Disney will release some kind of special-edition set with both films.

13. Glennica

Glennica Agent

There's a Special Edition of the remake of The Parent Trap available for preorder at Amazon and Deep Discount. The release date is 5/31/05.

Does anyone what know what features it will have?

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I never got that screener of the "new" parent trap movie so I hope they send me the SE!!!

15. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Extra Features list from DVDEmpire:

Gag Reel
    Now And Then: A Look Back At The Making Of THE PARENT TRAP
    The Visual Effects Of THE PARENT TRAP
    Audio Commentary: Charles Shyer (Producer, Screenwriter) And Nancy Meyers (Director, Screenwriter)

16. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Also, any word on whether or not it's finally anamorphic?

17. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

My husband and I love this movie... any news about 16:9 possibility on this re-release?

18. Glennica

Glennica Agent

Is this the commentary from the laserdisc, or a new one?

19. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I guess this is in anticipation for the new Love Bug movie...