1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

(New)Temptest EBS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Jones, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Auditioning

Okay I have searched and still have questions.
    From people who have built the Adire alignment or the EBS:

How do the larger designs sound with music?
    I have a Temptest and an AVA250 to go with my Klipsh RF3's.
    It is 90% home theater for me, but my wife is more 50/50.

I don't want her to complain because of how it sounds with music.
    I had bought a Klipsh 12 and 15 (not the reference series) subs and they would not keep up. So I decided to build after reading this and other forums for the last year.

The only answer I can come up with is build the EBS and the smallest non-ported design and switch between the two.
    Thank you for the help.
    Jim

2. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Does she like the Klipsch subs for music?

You could build a ported sub for HT and plug the port when playing music if you prefer the sealed sound.

3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Auditioning

The Klipsh subs just plain bottomed out.
    I know if I had bought the reference series sub it would have been a different story.
    But I would like to build my own.
    It is my understanding that the smaller sealed enclosures need more power, would plugging the port on an EBS be too much for my AVA 250?
    Does the EBS sound too "boomy" for music?

Thank you,
    Jim

4. JimRHIT

JimRHIT Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jim,
    I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I wanted a great HT sub, but I love my music(all genres). So, after talking to everyone here, looking at the graph predictions, and speaking with everyone's friend Dan Wiggins, I decided the Adire Alignment(214L ported) was right for me. Let me tell you, I was right.
    It has served me well since last Aug(1.25yrs), and I know that I have bottemed it exactly 7 times. Twice on the Toy Story(sub +8, vol +5, which is damn near deafening!!)and numerous times on Lord of the Rings(not a sub friendly movie, esp at ref level).
    I just recently got in on the Stryke pre-order for their new AV series...as I can no longer spare the room and aesthetical disadvantages of a sub so large. I can assure you that you will not be dissappointed with the setup, and believe me...the tempest will more than keep up with my RF-3's on anything( I have also done a direct comparo w/ the KSW12....no contest on clarity, extension, and "imaging".)
    Good luck with the decision, I would suggest the Adire at the largest, just because after a while...it seems to look bigger and bigger as the novelty wears off. unless you are a die hard pipe organ lover, the adire is all you will ever need.
    Jim [​IMG]

5. KurtJ

KurtJ Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

I'm considering building the EBS design also, and have asked several questions both here and to Adire concerning the PR designs. I want the PR because I won't have to worry about port length because I'm thinking about changing the dimensions from the recommended ones on Adire's web site. I have only to worry about keeping the internal volume the same.

PR and vented will go lower, but with a bigger cabinet. You give up some of the freq response but have the smaller cabinet with sealed.

The people at Adire tell me that with the EBS design, response will go to the mid teens (15-16 Hz) vs. uper teens with SBB4 or Adire Alignment(17-20 Hz).