new technology or snake oil in rptv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Theron Shaffer, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Theron Shaffer

In my slow search for a rptv (hd) I went into a local reputable electronics store to look around. As usual I played the part of an idiot, as I enjoy hearing the crap these salesman are willing to throw at me.

Anyway, I was telling him I am debating between a direct view and an rptv for largely movies and xbox gaming...and while i prefer the rptv there is the burn-in potential lurking there. He goes on to tell me he hasnt had any problems with his....but he works there so he could exchange it if he did (wow, your really talking me into one!). Anyway, he tells me that if I am really concerned, there is a new Sony model out that he could sell me, but they dont have it out on the sales floor because they are still pushing the current models to get them out the door. His point was, this new Sony model has been improved in this area to the point where burn in is a non-issue.

I realize this was bs, but I am wondering....are they continuing to refine the rptv's in this area? It seems like this problem has been around for ten years and there would be ways to prevent it save the most blatant abuse on your tv of the contrast setting. I guess if they had improved the technology in this area they would be pretty quiet about it in order to not slight the person that just bought last year's model.

2. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Could he be referring to the new Sony Grand Wega II LCD RPTVs. These will not have a problem with burn-in, however they will also have a lower contrast (due to poorer black level) picture than a CRT based RPTV. Sounds like the sales guy doesn't know the difference.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I would never feign ignorance with a salesperson. It's so easy to get your way when you intimidate the floor jockey.

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Well, the grand wega model is an lcd. If he was referring to that, he wasn't bs-ing you.