New take on cutting Sonotube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Casey H, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Hey All!
    My Father-in-Law and I are building some Sonosubs. He came up with a new way to cut the tube. We took a roll of 6" masking paper (painters use it, can be found at most hardware stores), and used the same principles that Pat used with his paper taping idea (except the roll does not require taping). We then secured the paper to the tube with a few pieces of tape and used a can of black spray paint (anything dark will do) to spray the paper edge that met the tube. Waited a few min. for it to dry and took off the paper. Walla! it seemed that the spray-painted edge gave me a much better perspective on the cut (easier to follow) using the circular saw. Well my .02 for the day!
    Enjoy, Casey [​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Sounds like a plan. I used fanfold paper myself abd just marked the edge around the circumference.

3. alan fallert

alan fallert Agent

What is the best tool to use to cut the sonotube, Jig saw, hand saw??????

4. fine toothed jigsaw works just fine=)

5. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

I cut mine carefully with a jig saw. It wasn't that hard to do.

The most important thing to remember is to concentrate and keep the contact point between the tube and the saw base plate right at the point where the blade is. i.e. the blade should be cutting with the tube touching the base plate of your jigsaw, if you rock the jig saw back too much, the curve of the tube will mean the cut is happening ahead of the point where the tube touches the base plate and will result in more of a rip (with jagged edges) than a cut. Don't know if I am explaining it well, you'll see what I mean if you try it.

Basically, I cleared a good space behind me and rolled the tube toward me as I gradually walked backwards, keeping the jigsaw in line with my cut mark and the base plate of the saw in contact with the tube, right where the blade is cutting. THe results were a clean even cut. I did a small amount of sanding on some of the slightly uneven spots until the cut was flat.

Good luck!

Robin

6. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

I did the same as Robin but I didn't worry about cleaning up the edge till the end plug was glued in and then used a flush bit in a router to clean it up. I wouldn't recommend this method to an inexperienced router user as you have to run the router on the tube where there is not much support.
    It does however give a nice sharp edge.
    Painting the edge with a water based sealer/varnish will also help to stop any of the edges peeling.

Warrick