1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

New System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim W G, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

I just sold my whole system to make room for some new stuff.

So far I bought:

(2) SA-WM40 Sony Subs.

My question is, Which receiver?

Pioneer VSX-D810S or

Onkyo TX-DS595?

and what surround speakers are needed now?

I could go either with the Whole Sony set-up with:

SS-MF600H , or SS-MF500H for the fronts

SS-CR505 for the surround and centers

SS-CN495 for the rear center.

The other option is JBL:

NSP-1 for the center and surrounds

I wanted to get some tower speakers for the front. If I did go with the JBL's should I replace the fronts with the N26, or the N38. I would use one of the N24's from the front for the back center.

I have to keep the pirce tag below $350 for speakers if possible!

I think the (2) sony 12's will add enough bottom end to keep me happy with the N26 and N24's, or the Sony F500H's.

Thanks for any help

Tim

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    the Onkyo is better than that Pioneer IMO. also stay away from Sony speakers. those subs you bought are the only decent 'speakers' Sony makes. JBL is far better than those Sonys. as for discerning within the JBL line, well that's up to your ears!

3. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Thanks. Anyone else that already has the JBL NSP-1? Is the N24's enough for the front, or will the N26 be better?

4. Sergio Stephano

I just got the nsp-1 with onkyo receiver 595 model and a jbl-pb10 sub...I have only set up the 3 front speakers and i am impressed...i would go with nsp-1 speaker package, as it is a good bargain

5. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

FYI ... Onecall.com has the Pioneer VSXD850S for $299 plus shipping. Seems like a great deal to me. I'm contimplating it. It got a pretty good review in a recent sound and vision article caomparing it to the denon 2802 and a Sony. Check it out in your search. http://sql.onecall.com/PID_11423.htm Later.

6. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Thanks Jason. The 850 is the one I really wanted, but didn't see the reason for paying the extra money. That is cheaper than most of the 810's I found. As of now it looks like it will be the VSX-D850S and the JBL NSP-1. Thanks for all the help.

7. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

Hi...I have the JBL NSP1 setup and i think its a great value for the money. For the price, I don't think you could do better

Good Luck

Mark

8. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Just an update. I finally got my VSX-D850S in the mail today. I can't wait to get home and hook it up. I'm still waiting on the JBL's though.

I do have a question on the 6.1 setup.

Should I put the two side surround speakers on the side closer to the corners of the room and aim them at the center, or put them beside the listening position high and aim them down. I have a door that is in the way, so I can't put them at the sides 2-3 feet above.

For the rear back channel, I only have about 3 feet behind my couch. Should I put it on the ceiling and aim it backwards, or put it on the wall above my head, or high like the other ones?

Thanks for any help.

I'm just excited about the receiver right now though!

Tim

9. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Well, time for a new question I guess.

Has anyone heard the Pioneer ISO-DRIVE series speakers? How do they rate agains the JBL

S-DC1-K / N-Center

S-DF2-K / N26

S-DS1-H / N24

I'm looking for a good set-up close to $350. Any suggestions would be extreemly helpfull. My new receiver and subs are just sitting here waiting on speakers to help!

10. Tim W G

Tim W G Agent

Well, I finally ordered my JBL's. I guess that is the way to go. I guess I'll find out in a couple days.
    The final list is:
    Totals after shipping!
    Pioneer VSX-D850S $320
    JBL-NSP1 $180
    (2)Sony SA-WM40 $99/ea.[​IMG]
    Maybe I'll upgrade the fronts to the N26 or the N38 soon. Does anyone have anything to say about that, or the speaker placement for 6.1 that I listed earlier?
    I think I'm going crazy.
    I keep talking to myself!!