What's new

New System (1 Viewer)

We are contemplating purchasing a wide screen TV and a proper home theater audio system and are looking at a Mitsubishi 48" Projection TV and YamahaHome Theater in a Box(YHT340 or YHT440); not being strict Video/Audiophiles are these 2 choices worth the effort?

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
That depends....let's start with-
How big is the room?
How far will you be sitting from the TV?
Whats your budget?

James Miranda

Auditioning
I think you mean 5300 CAD, 4000 USD, unless the Loonie has surged way past the greenback and I didn't notice.......

Eric Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Get an AcendAcoustics system w/o sub (>$900)
Purchase a ($700) receiver, figure out what kind of sound you like, and what gizmos you want. I like the strong neutral sound of Harman Kardon.
VMPS original subwoofer ($750) Use an old receiver to power it.
Pioneer 563as ($145) DVD-A/SACD player
Projector will be about a grand. Don't spend anymore than that because in about 2 years you are going to be selling it on e-bay for the latest and greatest. Trust me.

;)
Radio Shack gold interconnects and 16 gauge Home depot speaker wire should do ya.
Ceiling mount the projector and paint the walls a light gray.
Next and the least looked at HT peripheral is acoustic foam in the corners and to break up long 'hard' walls.

I just recieved my YHT 340 that i ordered last week! Its a great system! I'm only running analog right now b/c i haven't had the time to buy an optical cable but when i do i'll provide a full review on it.

John

Why gray for the walls
and
do you install the acoustic foam where walls meet or
in the top corners where the cieling and walls meet.

Eric Wood

Stunt Coordinator
Grey is supposed to be the best for DLP projectors because it shows the blackest blacks. Do a search here and at AVS. The best of course is a screen, but that can come later as $$$ allow.
Check out EighthNerve for acoustic dampening intel

I'm planning on a screen and this is another thing which is confusing -what kind and how big. (room size 16x9)
A projector- We'll be watching widescreen movies only in our dedicated home theater which has controlled lighting; a little research I've narrowed down a list in random order to these; are there others that can be included?
Hitachi HOME-1
Panasonic PT-L300U
Sanyo PLV-Z1
Sanyo PLV-Z2
Epson Home 10
MitsubishiXD300U

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks